Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Would astigmatitus cause the throbbing? He has that as well.

Would astigmatitus cause the throbbing? He has that as well. If so, how do you stop the throbbing?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, Astigmatism would not cause the throbbing sensation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Astigmatism is a kind of refractive error in which the shape of the cornea is not regular. This can cause blurring of vision. It can be corrected with the help of cylindrical glasses/contacts.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However it would not cause throbbing behind the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I was just wondering if an electromyogram (EMG) of the ocular muscles would help here. It is a special test in which a graph can be obtained when a particular muscle contracts. When a muscle is resting there should not be any graph. In case of misfiring of impulses there can be muscle contraction thus causing throbbing. A neuro-ophthalmologist can help to evaluate the condition properly ( whether the throbbing sensation is due to a vascular cause of due to muscle twitching). We cannot think of a gross anatomic cause as the CT scan has been found to be normal. It is more likely to be a functional cause.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband Ron, is in the hospital due to the trigeminal neuralgia. He said it is not astigmatism but a condition (neither of us remember the correct name of his condition). His left eye jumps tremendously when he looks to the left. The throbbing occurs generally in the middle of the night. Rarely does it occur during the daytime. When it occurs, it is brief and without pain, but definitely throbbing. It is significant to wake him up. A neurological ophthalmologist saw him, tested him for Glaucoma (none), diagnosed his eye vibrating when looking to the left, viewed an MRI (not with contrast, but one with contrast was taken two days ago-no results given to us yet). No one has answers and no one seems to know what we should do yet my husband remains awake for hours during the night and so do I. It takes him one day to recover from the lack of sleep and it takes me three or more days to recover. We do not know where to turn when one of the top eye hospitals in this country has no answers. I certainly hope that the Multiple Sclerosis is not to blame for this and that we will have to live with this forever.

Sorry to know about your husband's problem and the non availability of a proper diagnosis to his problem. The jumping of the left eye on left gaze is most likely to be due to horizontal end gaze nystagmus.It can certainly be very frustrating when there are no conclusive tests. I feel equally helpless and could go terribly wrong in guessing any cause. I thought I should mention one rare condition called Morvan Syndrome which has many symptoms similar to your husband's( lack of sleep , hypertension,muscle twitching).It is just a wild guess but can be discussed with your doctor.Please take good care of your husband and yourself.