Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive had a second eye measurement by the Sister at the pre op

Ive had a second eye measurement by the Sister at the pre op clinic who said the measurements were right and the machine is very acurate (there was no doctor available and my consultant was on holiday). I have also been getting one sided migraine like disturbances. I don't understand how the measurements work, my GP could not explain it. Does it makes any difference as to whether the eye is straight or not? Also, are my migraines down to nerves?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad that you have got new measurements that confirms that the data are correct.

Dr. Rick :

It makes a lot of difference if the eye is straight or not but, I must admit, I have taken the measuring probe and manually "chased" crooked eyes , lining up everything by hand many, many times over the years. I bet that this is what the Sister did at the pre-op clinic.

Dr. Rick :

It would have been nice if the first person who did your biometry had explained to you how, and why, you didn't need to worry that the data obtained were correct :)

Dr. Rick :

I'm surprised that your GP even knows pre-op measurements are necessary before cataract surgery!

Dr. Rick :

Let me tell you a little bit about migraines:

Dr. Rick :

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Dr. Rick :

It does not mean that your migraines are down to your nerves....it just means they are acting up a bit.

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck on your upcoming cataract surgery. Drop me a note and let me know how things turned out.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am glad that you have got new measurements that confirms that the data are correct.
Dr. Rick : It makes a lot of difference if the eye is straight or not but, I must admit, I have taken the measuring probe and manually "chased" crooked eyes , lining up everything by hand many, many times over the years. I bet that this is what the Sister did at the pre-op clinic.
Dr. Rick : It would have been nice if the first person who did your biometry had explained to you how, and why, you didn't need to worry that the data obtained were correct :)
Dr. Rick : I'm surprised that your GP even knows pre-op measurements are necessary before cataract surgery!
Dr. Rick : Let me tell you a little bit about migraines:
Dr. Rick :
Dr. Rick : It does not mean that your migraines are down to your nerves....it just means they are acting up a bit.
Dr. Rick : Best of luck on your upcoming cataract surgery. Drop me a note and let me know how things turned out.
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou for advice about the migraines, they are like you described and left sided. I suppose because I heard of someone whose vision was worse after having his cataract removed from a previously straightened eye I thought it could be down to mis-measurement.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Monica,

Nope. Completely different issue. :)

You are going to be amazed how white things are and how bright colors become after your cataract is removed :)

Good luck.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest