Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been advised that I have a macular pucker that needs

I have been advised that I have a macular pucker that needs to be removed. I am new to the city of Corpus Christi . I have no idea where to start looking for a surgeon what is the average cost and recovery time. I am afraid of loosing my vision. Thank you
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am a retina surgeon and do this type of surgery often.

Ron Kuffel, JR, MD is an excellent retina surgeon who will be able to treat your macular pucker for you. He can be contacted at:

5656 S. Staples St
Suite 280
Corpus Christi, Tx 78411 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Concerning surgery for your macular pucker, in my practice I do not recommend surgical intervention unless your best (with glasses etc) vision is worse than 20/40.

The surgery to remove the epiretinal membrane, which is what is causing your macula to pucker, will end up giving you a cataract in about a year or so. As such, you will need a second surgery for the cataract down the road.

For the surgery you might be under general anesthesia (asleep) or under local/light sedation depending on your desires and the situation.

The recovery time is just a day or two in most cases where you are able to return to your normal activities. You can expect that your vision will continue to improve for up to 6 months.

In a small percentage of my patients, I'd say about 2%, it is necessary to put an air bubble inside the eye. In these cases you may need to position face down etc for about a week or two.

The average cost? For the entire thing, OR, Anesthesia, Hospital/surgery center/surgeon etc you are probably looking at $10 to 14,000. But, insurance pays the vast majority of this and, at least in my office/surgery center, we give cash discounts.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you. I was told by one doctor the eye is 20/70 and by another 20/80. To maintain a drivers license it has to be at least 20/40

I will try the doctor you suggested. I am new to this city and needing much advice. Molly

Molly,

In my state you only need 20/70 in one good eye and a certain amount of visual field....this law varies from state to state.

I wish you the very best. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Dr. Rick