Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Traumatic Hyphema Prognosis

Customer Question

I have a hyphema in the right eye. The blood is still settling (so only light + detection of motion in the injured eye) but the layered blood is ~1/3 of the anterior chamber ~80 hours after trauma. 20, male, normal IOP, no retinal damage (according to ultrasound). The trauma was from blunt force but my eyes were closed (no direct impact). I'm also very nearsighted (7.5 diopters with astigmatism). If no complications arise what are my odds of regaining my original vision? What's the rough timeframe for vision, return to work, and exercise? Thanks.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Hyphema is likely to get absorbed gradually over a period of 1-2 weeks and the chances of good visual recovery are very likely as the IOP is normal. There is a slight chance of blood staining of the cornea , especially in case of raised IOP. You can give yourself about 2 weeks to begin to notice improvement. Once the blood gets absorbed you can get back to your work and exercise too. However do get a dilated eye exam done by your ophthalmologist for a closer look at the peripheral retina ( since you are having high myopia).

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So is 2 weeks the timeframe for complete recovery, or for my vision to begin recovering?

Hello William,

By approximately 2 weeks time you would begin to notice visual improvement. Complete absorption of the blood could take longer .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for the information.

My pleasure!

Best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The situation here has progressed a bit and I'd appreciate your thoughts on what I plan on doing.

The hyphema has cleared but has revealed some pretty considerable damage to the rest of the eye. My iris is torn, my lens has developed a cataract, there is some blood in the vitreous, what looks like scar tissue has manifested over the macula, and there may be some bleeding behind the retina.

This has manifested as blurry vision (almost like a gaussian blur were applied), a dark web in my vision that moves when I move my eye and obstructs about the left 1/3-1/2 of my vision, and a gray blind spot at the center of my field of view.

After speaking with my doctor he suggested I should see a retina specialist, but I would probably be recommended to just wait and see. They haven't found any evidence of retinal detachment, whether by visual exam or ultrasound.

Now, from my understanding and research, it seems as though I'll probably end up needing vitrectomy + cataract surgery.

My question, then, is:

How urgent is this surgery? Is my visual prognosis better if I get the surgery a week from now rather than 2 months? If I wait I will obviously still be getting regular eye exams, but I'm concerned whether my symptoms will degenerate further if I choose to wait.

Thanks for your assistance.