Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have shingles on the left side of my face my eye is swollen

I have shingles on the left side of my face my eye is swollen shut this is the fourth day , when will the swelling go down?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 12 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Sometimes it can take up to a week before the swelling starts to subside.
Dr. Dan B. : However, if you use cool compresses this can help reduce the swelling.
Dr. Dan B. : Also, it's possible that you may benefit from some oral steroids to help reduce the inflammation, but as this is a prescription medicine you would have to discuss this with your doctor. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Thank you,my only concern is the swelling around the eye it seems to get worst every morning I wake up can there be a thing as too much swelling around the eye

Customer:

Hello can you answer.

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, there certainly can be too much swelling. It's also possible that the skin swelling may be secondarily infected. For both of these reasons it's important to bring this up with your doctor. You may need antibiotics, steroids or both.
Customer:

it is now the fourth day if it doesn't, go down when should I go to see him

Dr. Dan B. : I would give it another 1-2 days with the cool compresses and then if it isn't better by them or worsening before then I would see your doctor.
Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Should I get the shot so I don,t get it agian

Dr. Dan B. : The only thing a shot accomplishes is to provide you with a boost of antibodies. If you got the shot right now, it would be useless, because your body is already making those antibodies currently against your current infection. It may be of some use, though, to consider getting a shot again in another 10 to 15 years, when it has been a long time since your immune system has been activated against this virus. Does that make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Any questions about that?
Customer:

Will I get the shingles again?

Dr. Dan B. : Its certainly a possibility, but likely not any more possible than anyone else who has had prior chicken pox or shingles. I think the best thing you can do is to consider getting the shot in about 15 years and to make sure this episode gets treated well.
Customer:

Thanks

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.