Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband is in a nursing home with Alzheimers. His right

My husband is in a nursing home with Alzheimers. His right bottom eyelid is curling in and making his eye red and watery. He is really not a candidate for surgery. Is there anything else that will work to help comfort him.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you could use a soothing ointment, such as lacrilube, to protect his eye from drying out and being irritated by his eyelid and lashes.

Dr. Rick :

Alternatively, there is a very quick, easy, painless and effective treatment for his condition that can be done by an ophthalmologist. This can be done in the eye doctors office in less than 5 minutes or, if the doctor is willing, could easily be done in your husbands nursing home room.

Dr. Rick :

It is called the Quickert suture technique and, while the classic approach involves 3 stitches, I have had success with a few as one in selected cases.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, it is quick, easy, effective and 100% reversible (just take out the stitches) if needed.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an article on this procedure:

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? From what you have posted I think this would be a good solution to your husbands eye problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Mary Jo,

Dr. Rick says:
11:45 AM
11:46 AM
11:46 AM Customerhas entered this chat!
11:46 AM Customerhas stepped out of this chat.
Dr. Rick says:
11:47 AM
11:50 AM
11:51 AM
11:52 AM
Here is an article on this procedure:
11:52 AM
http://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/oculoplastics/news/print/ocular-surgery-news/%7B58ea9bc9-2c59-4d52-9aa3-4453ea617ed8%7D/three-suture-technique-addresses-involutional-entropion-in-the-office
11:52 AM
11:53 AM
Does this make sense to you?
11:53 AM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS