Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have multiple health issues: atrial fib (have had 2 ablations),

I have multiple health issues: atrial fib (have had 2 ablations), trigeminal neuralgia, lymphedema, widespread joint pain (wrists, fingers, toes, ankles, knees, hips...), was dx'd with parkensons disease 1 1/2 yrs ago...couldn't tolerate meds (synemet,etc)...sought 2nd opinion this summer and was dx'd with essential tremor instead of parkensons. Also dx'd with fibromyalgia...which I question because my pain is not muscular. Dx'd with mild asthma. Macular degeneration right eye. Osteoarthritis also dx'd. Also neuralgia in feet.

Rheumatoid arthritis has been ruled out, but my sxs sure seem consistent with that. I'm not experiencing much relief from pain, nor a real explanation for my poor balance/stumbling and other sxs. Needing input.
Continuing sxs include loss of balance, tremors, pretty intense pain in all joints listed above, hair loss, anemia, headaches (migraines), iron, vitamin c & d deficiency, fatigue, dry eye and mouth syndrone. Also experience diarrhea daily, do not sleep reL well...rarely feel rested upon awakening...

MEDS include: propfenone, metoprolol, nexium, lyrica, cozaar, iron, vitamins d & c, cosamine ds, preservision, zoloft, warfarin, tramadol and or Tylenol as needed for pain, flovent, multivitamins, systane eye drops.

Family hx of coronary artery disease...dad and oldest brother died from this and three sisters each have stents, four remaining brothers each have bypasses; 1 sister has sjogrens and rheumatoid arthritis, one brother has lupus and is on dialysis for kidney failure, one brother has parkensons, one sister (deceased) had syrrosis of liver(non drinker), mom (deceased) had severe arthritis and late onset dementia.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering for so long.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest