Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been suffering with very, very sensitive eyes to light,

I have been suffering with very, very sensitive eyes to light, to the point O am unable to drive, moving vehicle makes it impossible to drive. I have been to specialist for my eyes and no one can seem to tell me what is causes the extreme sensitivity. I have had my eyes tested and examine by eye doctors, I have had my eye plug for tears, I have had a scan of my head to rule out all of those problems, yet I still have very debilitating, depressing sensitive eyes, I have all types of drops that I am using, I have even ordered natural products that was suppose to help nothing. I have had blood drown for testing nothing..PLEASE HELP
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors and ophthalmologists have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on, especially after all that you have been through.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have traveled to Duke Hospital, would say that is a teaching hospital, no answer from them

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Pat,

You are absolutely correct.....

Unfortunately, if all the doctors you have mentioned, including the Ophthalmology Professors at Duke can't figure out what is going on, then -- I'm sorry to say -- your issues are beyond the reach of modern ophthalmology.

The good news? By saying this a lot of bad diseases have been ruled out.

The bad news? You are still suffering.

I bet you have heard this before but...at this point your only option is dark glasses. Not a very satisfactory solution to a complex problem, I'd admit. :(

Maybe, in the coming years, the cause of your severe photophobia will become manifest and something can be done to cure you. Until such time, however, you only recourse, from where I am standing, is to take steps to limit your symptoms.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest