Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Dan As a recap, I had cataract surgery in my right

Hi Dr. Dan

As a recap, I had cataract surgery in my right eye approx 3 weeks ago. I had my initial follow up visit with the surgeon (day after surgery) which at that time - I could see next to nothing. He confirmed swelling and gave me eye drops that helped. I went for second follow up visit a week post op, at which time my vision was/is extremely cloudy and feels like a "film" or something is over my eye (resulting in impairment of sight). After attempting to explain this to the doctor - The Dr. sent me home with the advice that everyone heals differently (True).. and I am scheduled for a follow up on Oct 2,. I am continuing my RX eyedrops with very little improvement in this "film" sensation. While my patience is lacking (obviously cause I CAN NOT SEE) - I feel more herded (cattle) as opposed to BEING HEARD by my Doctor. The fact that indeed "everyone does heal at a different rate" - I have no clue what the "plan" may or may not be for correcting cloudiness in my vision on my upcoming office visit. It is my understanding that there is a corrective laser procedure that can be performed to rectify this common side effect from cataract surgery? My question to you is HOW LONG do I have to wait to see how well I "heal on my own" before this option is presented to me? and/or I am eligible for this laser procedure? I would like to expect this to be done at my next appointment (one month post op). Is this unreasonable/unrealistic? I Can't Wait 3 - 6 months to see if this cloudiness clears up on it's own. I don't think the doctor is listening: I CAN'T SEE! I don't care what the eye exams and charts say (my vision is 20/30) - I Can't SEE! If it is as simple as a repairing with laser - can it be done sooner than later??? I am confused. I drive for a living and my dimished vision in my right eye inhibits that greatly. I can't NOT safely work. I do my best and hope for the best. Which is not appealing to me nor fair to other patrons the road. Clarification - I can see well enough in the city...i.e., Freeways, some surface streets, well lighted areas. However, I drive to rural locations - 2 lane pitch black highways. I couldn't see a deer if it was 2 feet in front of my car - I don't have the focus/clarity. Please give me your opinion about the corrective laser procedure and how soon after cataract surgery could it be considered for correction? Also, do you know anything else that may be causing me to experience the "fog" and "film/cloudiness" in my eye other than stated above? Thank you for your opinion.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It seems that Dr. Dan has not been online for the last few days -- I guess his day job is getting in the way :)

Would you like to continue to wait for Dr. Dan? If not, I'd be more then happy to assist you.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick

Please advise. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
If your vision is 20/30 three weeks after cataract surgery you CAN see....no matter what it may feel like to you.......

If you are talking about a yag laser capsulotomy to clear up your vision the yes, it is unreasonable to expect to have it done one month post-op.

I, personally, would not do a YAG on your eye until at least 90 days post op in order to allow the capsular bag to shrink down around the lens haptics and stabilize things.

The other thing that may be causing your fog/cloudy vision is corneal edema.

If you could upload a copy of your eye records and let me know exactly what drops you are on I would be happy to tell you exactly what your surgeon written down and what you hope to expect.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Rick for answering my questions and concerns regarding fogginess n vision (after cataract surgery) and laser procedure. To reaffirm, the doctor did say after my last exam that results from eye charts/test/exams my vision was @ 20/30 - and while that implies I should be able to see better (decent) - The hazy-ness is leaving me feeling 'blinded' (not blind - not as good as I want/need). I do really appreciate your insight on when Yag laser should or might be considered. Your opinion seems to be in correlation with my opthamologist. Hence, this is why he has not yet discussed this option in detail (laser) as it is too early to give it consideration. Additionally, my doctor did indicate corneal edema...i.e., swelling? He suggested OTC Muro 128 eyedrops to improve this. I use these drops intermittantly throughout the day (maybe 4 - 5 times dy - 1 drop each application). IF it is improving/helping with the swelling, it is doing it Slow. I am also on Prolensa 0.07% drops taken 1 a day (up to four weeks) and I am using (as prescribed) Prednisolone AC 1% - 1 drop a day for next week. (This medication was used 4 x day week one, 3 x day week 2 and now 1 time a day week 3) weening (steriod???) After this week, I will no longer be taking the Prednisolone. Are there ANY OTHER drops (RX or OTC) that may produce better results if indeed I am experiencing cornea edema? Perhaps, the longer I use the Muro 128 - I will see more improvement? Many people who receive cataract surgery claim to see clearly IMMEDIATELY, thus I am sure is contributing to my anxiety. Reassurance of hope that my sight will improve is more than I have right now (from current doctor). Speculative, he knows this: I Don't. Thank you again for your insight. I appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that extra information.

Muro 128 drops do help to speed up the resolution of corneal edema somewhat but the true treatment for this problem is a good dose of Tincture of Time: 96% of the time things clear up just fine....

There is nothing else that you need to do, or can do, to speed up the resolution of your post-op corneal edema. The endothelial cells, which are responsible for removing edema from your cornea just have to get back to work....and they will. Do not worry.

Do not judge your post op course by the course of your friends......everyone is different.....

From what you have posted, your vision will get better.

So. What is the take home message? Relax and give it time. :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest