Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

You answered several questions on my eye lens removal/reinstallation.

You answered several questions on my eye lens removal/reinstallation. I want to update you on the outcome and ask a quick question about it.

The operation was yesterday at the Hartford Hospital and was much better than I expected. They removed the old lens implant. Even without a lens there was a large amount of vision, though blurry. Enough that when combined with the image from my other eye, I have great stereoscopic vision. Driving, walking, etc. are no problem at all.

At the post-op this morning, the surgeon was also happy and said, "This is so good we might not have to implant a replacement lens and you can just wear glasses." Well, I don't like that idea because having a nearsighted lens implant in that eye gave me great monovision.

Now my question. Is there any medical reason or insurance payment reason for him not to put a lens implant back after the required healing time?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It is good to hear from you and that the removal of your old lens went so well. :)

No. There is no financial incentive for the surgeon not to put a new lens in your eye. The only reason not to put a lens back in your eye is if:

1. Your vision was good enough without an intraocular lens and using just a very mild Rx in glasses.

2. You would not be exposed to the risk of complications from the surgery to put in a lens....wearing glasses is risk free :)

Don't jump to conclusions yet, or get worked up about something that might not even happen. Let you eye heal, be happy that the first stage has come off without a hitch, and see how you are doing a few weeks down the road.

Does this make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS