Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi Dr. Rick~I wore my contact all afternoon and it seemed okay~

Hi Dr. Rick~I wore my contact all afternoon and it seemed okay~ now tonight my eye again is burning~I am becoming afraid~ how would I know if it was serious~ it does not look very red or anything as compared to the other one~ just burning~would not my Optomatrist have noticed anything serious last week~no doubt after I sleep tomorrow the discomfort will be gone~I am afraid it may be a cornea problem or something~ how would I know~sorry to be so pesty~I asked Dr. Dan also~ but he is not that reliable as you are~yesterday I was okay and had no discomfort~Martha
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad it did so well all day.

Dr. Rick :

As long as your eye is not red and you are not having a lot of pain -- and your optometrist says your cornea looks OK on your next exam, you should have nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Don't worry. You are going to be OK.

Dr. Rick :

I noticed your question to Dr. Dan. He is not online right now so I'm just letting your question sit there until he grabs it :)

Dr. Rick :

Make sense?

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer:

I am so discouraged~ when an eye is bothering you it makes your whole body feel bad~ it is more of a burning sensation than hurting~maybe I am just being a big baby~ how it can be fine one day and not another is beyond me~ the right eye feels fine and I use the same drops in that one~ but no contact~maybe I am allergic to the new cleaning methot~I know you deserve a big tip~ as you have been so patient with me~how would I know if it is a cornea problem~Martha

Dr. Rick :

I think you should go back to your old cleaning protocol....it sure won't hurt to try that...

Dr. Rick :

After all the talking we have been doing I do not think you have a serious cornea problem. But, to be sure, ask your eye doc next time you see him.

Customer:

I did tonight~ as I asked how would I know if it is a cornea problem~would something show in my eye~

Dr. Rick :

I like big tips :)

Dr. Rick :

If you had a ulcer you could see it in the mirror, but I very much doubt that you do.

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be OK.

Dr. Rick :

The trees are turning here...I bet they are on the ground in your town, eh?

Dr. Rick :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Did you get your tip~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

Yes, it came through the last time you paid me :)

You are too kind
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

What do you mean the last time I paid you~I don't think I gave you $50.00 before~Martha~or am I losing it???

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
I was paid $10 at 3:30 today by you and $10 last night but I don't see any payment for $50 in the recent past....but my data only goes back 3 days...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

What would have happened to it then??? How long does it take to go through~you deserve an extra amount~ as you have always been there for me~ gosh now I am wondering if I have eye cancer~a girl I know had that~ what signs do show in these cases~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Just because we can't find the bonus you sent doesn't mean that the eye gods are going to strike you down with eye cancer!

Give that no thought.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I was having a hard time to enter the amount~ as I was putting a dollar sign~it kept telling me that it only accepted numbers~I finally caught on~ so it went through I know~Martha~ By the way is eye cancer very common ~ I guess my eye feels so bad I think I must have something serious and I am not just being a baby~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
No. Severe eye cancer is actually very rare.

I think I remember a large tip from you a few days ago...but my online records do not go back that far. You could ask the customer service people to trace it for you but I am fairly certain it did come through.

Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Dr. Rick~I only sent it an hour or so ago~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
It did not come through....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

The bonus just came through....I guess traffic was backed up on the information highway :)

Thanks and have a good night.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi the Pest again~I have my new lens in as I don't have a choice I guess~or wear none~ this one is much thinner than my old faithful~ would it thus take my body longer to get used to a new actually foreign object in my eye~I keep looking in my eye to see if there is a problem and I see lines through the color part~ are these normal or just the lighting~the vision is good in the eye~surely the Optomatrist would have noticed anything abnormal~I seem to be a nervous wreck over this stupid new contact~as I can feel it in there and I don't think you should ~Martha~yes again~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Your not a pest....Afternoon clinic is just starting so you're giving me an excuse to sit in my office for a bit longer...

The lines in the color part of your eye are normal; nothing to worry about.

Use some preservative free natural tears every few hour or two and see how the lens does today.

I'm off to the trenches to fight the war :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Again~I have been reading about Blepharitis or maybe the spelling is wrong~would you have it in both eyes~I put some eye drops in and rubbed my eye and a white stuff came out~it also could be that Azopt white glue residue~ is baby shampoo the best treatment if it is and is it common~ does it affect your contact lens to make your eyes burn~thank goodness my eye is not burning today~I wonder what caused that~ burning I mean~ I just feel dryness today and thus they are not real comfortable~I hope that Basuch and Lomb is a good cleaner~ as I read that they had problems with it at one time~and had a recall ~that is all I would need now and am not sure whether to stick with the longer process of CIBC vision~ with about three steps as compared to Re~_ Nu's one step~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

Baby shampoo lid scrubs is the best treatment...you don't need those fancy things they try to sell on the internet. Another treatment is doxycycline 100 mg a day for 30 days.

Try the old way of cleaning your contacts and see how thing go. There is no harm to give it a try...

Here is a good article on blepharitis from a very reliable source (not as reliable as me, of course, but not bad...)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blepharitis/DS00633
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Does it come and go sort of thing~I don't seem to have a lot of the symptons~like eyes sticking together in the morning or itch and so on~do many people have it~I have a white redidue from the glaucoma drops I know~ but you seem quite sure I may have Blepharitis~I hope that I can wear my contact safely if I do have it~would or should I scrub the eyelids everyday~I know my mother had glaucoma and did that my sister said~it sounded silly at the time~Lumigan makes your eye lashes grow and it has with mine~ gosh I hope I don't have that~I have enough wrong now~ I think what was making my eyes burn~ was the Azopt drug and I was not shaking the bottle hard enough~it says to SHAKE WELL in capital letters and it is white and thick like Elmer's glue~I think too much was going in at once~I hope that was it anyway and not my contact~ do you people only work for tips or are you also paid~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
yes, it is common for the symptoms to come and go and tons of people have it :(

You can safely wear your contacts, even with blepharitis.....

Our primary pay comes from tips....kinda like over-educated waiters ;)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

You are too fast for me~I did not know that about tips~I thought that was just an extra bonus~ I looked at that Mayo site and my eyes don't look like that~ maybe these were extra bad cases~Martha~PS Do you say it comes and goes~years ago when I would take a bad cold my eye lids would stick together like that~ but not since I was young~if you kept doing that baby shampoo thing would it keep it at bay and how would I know what was the Azopt drops or that disorder~I don't think it would cause my eyes to be sore and burn~ would it~it seems to speak mostly of itch~DR. Dan ignored me~ he is NOT as nice as you~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
You don't have to leave tips as I think they are not included in your subscription price. Every time you give positive feedback, however, should be in the subscription and not cost you any more out of pocket....

Yes, the scrubs will keep it a bay...and help remove the gunk from the azopt too :)

He is not ignoring you. I've been watching your question and Dr. Dan has not been online in two days.....The moderator sent him a message that your question is waiting for him and I'm sure he will grab it when he comes back online.

Dr. Dan works too hard on his day job lol!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I guess you have a good Assistant on yours :-) as you are always so good about answering~I know you said that you would always be honest with me~ do you think I have Blepharitis or is it the Azopt~ gosh the Lumigan not only grows eye lashes ~ but can change the color of your eyes~it must be powerful stuff~as I read about it I do not have those bad symptons anyway~ swollen eye lids and so on~as I said Dr. Desai sort of explained Azopt and it sounded pretty powerful~I kind of feel it may have been the cause of the burning and sore eyes~ too much might have been getting in~that is not there today~ PTL~I think my former contact cleaner may be a bit more thorough~more work though~ the other just sounds too good to be true I guess~one step all in one and there were negative write ups on it a while back~ maybe it is fine now though~Martha~Does your Son like College and is taking up your Profession~I will leave you alone for the night after this~although I have been known to break my promises before~:-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

I think you have a bit of blepharitis.

He is enjoying college...majoring in beer and women for the moment :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

They all do that when first away from home with no supervision~ my son was the same~at least you are honest~then there is such a thing as a bit of this thing~ whereas some cases are more severe~ here I broke my promise already~ as the pictures looked pretty bad~I don't feel that it would cause my eye pain ~ but then again maybe it did~ Martha~I wish that I did not harm my old contact~ even as old as it was~I always felt safe with it on hand~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
You'll be fine :) Just hang in there....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks and Praise The Lord~If He is for You~ then Who can be against You~I really like your picture~ there leaves a bit of mystery to what you really look like~:-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
:)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I had written to you to say that last answer to me did not make sense to me at all~I wrote it under your name and it maybe went to all experts~ as I did not hear back from you~ which is not like your normal way~anyway I noticed that $42.00 instead of $50.00 came off my account~ that also is strange~did you only get the $42.00~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
I never saw the question you mentioned above....wonder what happened to it.

Not sure why only $42 came off your account....but that is OK, I got a good bonus; doesn't have to be $50 as I'm working on getting my wife a second job in the evening to bring a few more bucks into the family accounts lol!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I have not bothered you for a while and thus I will now~all week my contact felt good and I used baby shampoo on my eyelids~I did again today~ but my eye bothers me today and also my contact~I am going to try the custom made one and also work with what the Optomatrist selected for me as well~ my old Doctor in my other Province did not feel these would work~but why would I feel fine some days~these are monthlies and I like this idea~ as it would be more sterile~and I would have a back up~I was always so nervous about losing or damaging my one and only~ normally for my type of problem disposables do not work ~ they don 't come in such a big prescription for one thing~ but I got one that did~a couple of the measurements were a bit off though ~ as I said some days it feels fine so it can't be all the contact~The Optomitrsit mentioned to my son today that I might have blebharitis~ my son did not know what that was~ can a person kind of have it~ as I certainly do not have all the symptons to the degree I read about~would you have it as an example~like you do black spots~my eye lashes do not stick together or anything~nor is there a lot of white stuff~also I am again curious to why they only debited me $42.00 and NOT $50.00~ who gets the other amount~Martha~PS I sent another Doctor $50.00 and he got the whole amount~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
I bet you have blepharitis.....just keep up with the shampoo etc...

I'm not sure why the other doctor got the whole amount....but I'm OK with what you sent.

Good to hear from you. Have a good evening.

I had a full clinic today and then an emergency surgery...just got home :(
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks and by the sounds of things I don't think your wife has time to find a night job~ don't Specialists make pretty good money~ seriously though I just was curious to why $8.00 would be taken off my amount~ does it have to do with the Plan I am on~I know that you are Happy with what you have~ I know I probably do have blepharitis and would I have had it a long time~ but why do some cases look so obvious and mine does not~Martha~PS What causes it and have a restful Evening~it must make one feel good to save a person's sight~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

No. Retina surgeons barely make minimum wage :(

(If you believe that, did I tell you that I am selling my share of the Golden Gate Bridge? lol!)

Blepharitis is different from person to person. Don't give it too much thought.

You might want to contact customer service and see why they didn't take the entire $50....they will be able to figure it out.

As a worker-bee I am not allowed access to important data such at that :(

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Again~Is it possible to have that in just my contact eye~my other eye never bothers me~whereas anything you read about blepharitis it says normally you get it in both eyes~as I said my other eye never bothers me~is the baby shampoo on a cloth as good as on a Q~tip and also do you use the shampoo full strength~with all my eye problems I don't need this and especially when I have to wear a contact in that eye~it probably is not the contact but me~that poor Optomatrist dealing with me~what would cause this~after a night's sleep the soreness seems to go away~Martha PS After your hard day what are you doing On Line ;-)~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

Yes, it is possible to have blepharitis in one eye only, but I bet you have it in both and it is just bothering you in your contact eye. This is very common....

You should put the shampoo on your wet index finger in the shower or the sink. This works better than a cloth or qtip..

Yes. Full strength.

You didn't do anything to cause this....it is just one of those things....

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~Is it possible I had this for a long time and did not know~only because looking back even my old contact bothered me some days and not others~ I never could figure it out~I did nothing however to fix it~ since I did not know about that disorder~does it come and go even when you do not treat it with shampoo~I get apprensive now about putting in my contact~ as I don't know if I will have a good or bad day~I always blamed the contact~or the humidity or whatever~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
yes. you have probably had this for decades.....

It is very common for the symptoms to come and go. That is one of reasons it can be so hard to diagnose at times.

You do not need to worry about putting in your contact....it really won't damage anything. :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I know I will not damage anything~it is just that it often times feels uncomfortable~ would it be from this disorder and then what do you do~take it out or tolerate it~Martha~PSIf I use shampoo everyday would that keep it at bay~so my contact feels okay~I have no choice as in my case I cannot wear glasses~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

If it is not too bad, you can tolerate it. Use your judgment.

Yes. I would do the baby shampoo every day.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Funny now the Optomatrist said every second day as it could dry my eye out~I trust you moreso ~ is this true~Martha~

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ My son was talking to my Optomatrist's Boss today and they are going to order me a custom made contact for my cataract eye~the same as I originaly had~ anyway he said to do the shampoo thing only every second day~or it would dry my eyes~is this a true statement~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
You optometrist is wrong. You can safely do it every day.

That is why your optometrist went to school for 8 years after HS and I went for 16
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi~I used the baby shampoo again today and when I rubbed my eye~I guess I should not do that~ a white residue was on my finger~my eye burned a bit too as I used the shampoo ~ but as you say it would be a LOT worse with head and shoulders~ as an example~does the flare ups come and go ~in other words can it actually go away for a while~the Blepharis I mean and then return~I guess there is no cure~I am not sure if the white stuff was Azopt or not~ thus far I have no pain in the eye~ which is a Plus~does the condition cause pain~as itch is mostly mentioned~ if I just leave the eye alone once the contact is in rather comfortably~ would it remain this way all day~ as I said~ some days the comfort is okay~ whereas others I blame the contact~maybe I pick at it too much and I do wear eye make up~thanks and have a real good day~Martha~PSWould putting drops in help during the day

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure the how and why of why the symptoms come and go....this is one of the mysteries of blepharitis..

It does not go away, it just bothers you off and on.

makeup is not the issues....you can wear it all you want
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi from me~ I meant to ask that when I use the baby shampoo~do I rinse real well with warm water in my eye too~ or just where I put the shampoo on the lids~as when I washed my hair that day lots of water must have gotten in my eye and my contact felt fine all that day~ just a thought~I called Customer Service about the $50.00~ more out of curiousity and they said someone would contact me today to tell me Why~ since another Doctor got his~ I never heard back~:-( it is rather odd and I did not make a typing error as they kind of suggested~I found it odd that they normally can answer any questions where you call and yet they told me California would handle that~ not them~

I can't believe that you had to go to school that long ~my Goodness you must be SMART and imagine to even take the time to talk to a Dummy like me~you sure would not need this waiter tip type of job nor would your wife have to work~ I don't think ~or so I thought anyway~ that an Optomatrist even goes 8 years~ as I always was told that they were not even really Doctors as such~maybe in the States it is different~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Just rinse your eyelids with your eyes closed. If in the shower just turn around with your eyes closed and let the shower hit you in the face.

Yup. And even after all those years of schooling I need to continue to take a minimum of 35 units of continuing education each and every year....last year I did 293 units of CE :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I realize Dr. Dan never did answer me~that is okay~ I think the contact problem will be solved with a custom made one at $200.00~I am surprised when you have so much Education that you would want to bother with pests like me~of course I am sure they are not all like me however~ do eye lids become kind of sore sometimes~like a chapped feeling~one of mine is like that tonight and yet I don't think I ever felt that before~ would blepharitis have anything to do with that~ maybe I dried it out rubbing too much on my eye lids~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

I'm not sure what happened with the question you asked Dr. Dan. It may have been lost for some reason or he just never saw it...hard to tell.

$200 seems like a very good price for a custom aphakic contact lens....but I really no longer dispense them so I'm not sure what they go for...

I don't think so, but you could put a dab of moisturizing lotion on your lid and see if feels better; that wouldn't hurt anything.

I figured it out: I have 27 years of formal schooling after kindergarten.....way too much, eh?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ I find my left eye still bothers me and no doubt you are right about Blepharitis~ but the left eye bothers me more because I have to wear a contact in it~it feels itchy and at times sore~ do the symptons eventually go a way~for a time anyway~ as there have been days when I was okay~ so it can't be my cat~ he is a Persian and normally they don't bother you as much as normal cats~I had him almost four years besides~ could I be doing something wrong~no doubt the other eye has it and yet I don't feel any discomfort~besides baby shampoo can my son get me anything at the drug store to help~ one day he came home with some wipes and I remember your saying that normally these things do not work~ so I returned them~ but it seems you mentioned one other thing that might help and I forget the name of it~ hopefully that is not what he got~do you need a prescription for it~

My mother used to wash her eyes like that my sister said~ yet she did not have to wear a contact~she had a growth come on her lid a couple of times years ago and had to have it removed~ would that have been caused by that~ it was many years ago before she was doing the baby shampoo thing~ Martha~PS How long do you use the baby shampoo as far as time rubbing each day~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

Yes, the symptoms will come and go and, once things are under control, it will hopefully feel good more days than not.

It is not you cat.

You do not need a Rx for the majority of blepharitis treatments. Warm compress also help.

I like to do it the lid scrubs for at least 5 min at a time, at least once a day. It is OK to do it more.

Take care and have a good evening.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I see they started me on a new thread and yet also left the old one for some reason~I certainly was not rubbing 5 mimutes with the baby shampoo~ plus I only do the left eye~ as the other one does not bother me a bit~but maybe I should be doing it also?? I wish that there was something stronger from a prescription to make it go faster~ you once mentioned something I thought that also might help~other than the baby shampoo~ that lump thing that appeared years ago on my mother's eye ~ she had to have a Surgeon remove it twice~would that have been from this disorder~ as I hope this does not happen to me~I remember she did not ask what it was and was afraid it was cancer or something~it did not look very attractive~I perhaps should be using the new thread from now on~Martha~I almost dread each day to put in my contact~ as some days are bad and others good~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

If you accept again on the old thread, it should close :)

Yes, might as well do both eyes....

It depends on what the lump was on your mom's eye. If it was a stye or chalazion, then yes, it may have been from blepharitis.

Might as well use this tread from now on, or you can always accept once on a thread and start a new one, making sure to ask for me. I'm not sure what the JA powers-that-be want....

I'll be offline for the next 5 or 6 hours. I'm oncall and there is a patient in the ER who it sounds like is going to need surgery.

Talk to you soon.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Good Luck with your surgery~I am on the long thread right now~so you must mean for me to use the shorter version~I am not sure what you mean by JA Powers that be- want... written above~no doubt you are in a hurry~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 months ago.
Martha,

just hit positive feedback and we can close out this tread and go to the short one.

This one, I guess, is getting too long.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD