Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello

My left eye looks like I have pink eye but there is no discharge. My sclera is swollen on the inner part of my eye along with my eye socket. There is pressure behind my eye and using peripheral vision is quite painful on left side. The painfulness began Saturday morning with random bouts of reddening and the swelling began on Monday. Have used tobramycin and sulfacetamide yesterday and today.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

How long has this been going on for?

Is your other eye affected at all?

Is your vision decreased?

Can you upload a picture or two? Here is a good way to do this:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2m7d7vr.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qb7k1e.jpg

Pain started 5 days ago with period redness that went away with clear eyes drops. Swelling started 3 days ago with constant redness. Vision is ok, no meds besides the tobra and sulfacetamide I started yesterday that was left over from pink eye earlier this yr

Amy,

The pictures are a bit out of focus....but it looks like pink eye.

This is caused by a virus, so the eye drops are of no use at all and,in the long run, just irritate things more.

I would use cold compresses and artificial tears to sooth and lubricate your eyes.

This will run its course over the next 10 days or so and you will be left with no vision problems or damage.

If you wear contact lenses, don't....at least until things clear up.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the high amount of pressure I feel in and around my eye normal for pinkeye? I can feel pressure on the top of my jaw joint. I work at a healthcare facility and am in direct contact with patienrs so is it a bag idea to go to work?

Amy,

I'd not worry about the pressure you are feeling...take some tylenol.

It is to late....you've probably already infected everyone at work so might as well go in tomorrow. :(

Just wash your hands well and often
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My eye became extremely painful, so I went to an ophthamalogist yesterday and he diagnosed it as episcleritis.

Amy,

Thanks for the feedback. At least we know now that you didn't infect any of your co-workers....

I'm glad you got in for a complete evaluation. Your ophthalmologist had the unfair advantage of using a $40,000 slit lamp, high magnification and a up-close-and-personal exam.

I would trust his diagnosis using his fancy equipment over my diagnosis using a blurry photograph over the internet.....

;-)

I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick