Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is there any other treatment for CRVO beside Avastin injections.

Is there any other treatment for CRVO beside Avastin injections. I have been getting Avastin injections for the last 15 months.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist. How are the injections working for you? Are the abnormal blood vessels being kept in check?

Dr. Rick :

What is your current vision?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am a retina specialist. How are the injections working for you? Are the abnormal blood vessels being kept in check?
Dr. Rick : What is your current vision?
Dr. Rick :
Do you know if you had the ischemic or the non-ischemic type of CRVO?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but I do not have that information.

Roberta,

Ok. We can work with this information.

Yes. There are other treatments available, although Avastin does the best job of preserving what vision you have left after the CRVO.

Laser surgery can be done in the ophthalmologists office. This treatment, which can be completed in one or two sessions, is very effective and almost never needs to be repeated. It does, however, destroy retinal tissue in order to stop the abnormal blood vessels from forming...which is not the case with avastin.

You should discuss this option with your ophthalmologist if you would rather not have the injections anymore.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS