Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hi, my wife was cleaning the glass on a storm door using

my wife was cleaning the glass on a storm door using Clorox when some of the Clorox from the door dripped in her right eye.

We have been flushing the eye with cold water.

Just wanted to check if there is anything else we should do besides flushing with water.

Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does she have any redness/pain/watering from the eye?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sorry to ask this but is the "Yes" to availability to chat or to the next question-"Does she have any redness/pain/watering from the eye?" .... ?

Customer:

Yes, she has a little burning, watering, redness. Sorry.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Fall of clorox into the eye amounts to chemical injury to the eye. This can have different grades depending on the damage to the eye. It can be considered as mild if there is minimal irritation , mild redness but absolutely clear vision and no pain. This grade can be treated with thorough eye wash and frequent use of lubricating eye drops such as OTC preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 5-6 times a day .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However the chemical injury can be moderate if there is more redness, watering, mild pain and mild blurring of vision. This can occur with involvement of the corneal layer. It can be treated with the above mentioned measures and lubricating eye ointment such as Lacrilube eye ointment at bedtime. Superficial injuries heal very well within 2-3 days with this treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case the injury is severe , it can cause severe redness with severe pain and gross reduction of vision. In such an event it is better to get immediate treatment from an ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since your wife has mild symptoms, I guess apart from the thorough eye wash with copius water ( about a litre) it is better to start with the lubricating eye drops immediately. She can continue to use it for the next 4-5 days. In the meanwhile let her watch out for any worsening of symptoms. If her symptoms subside with lubricating eye drops, then she would not require any other treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it does. Thanks. She currently has on hand TobraDex and Bacitracin Opht Ohalmic Ointment from a previous eyelid surgery. Are they viable in this case?

Customer:

Sorry, that's ophthalmic.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, if the symptoms are persistent then she can use Tobradex eye ointment ( but she should use a new tube and not the old one), once at bedtime for 4-5 days( it should not be used for longer periods). But do get her eye examined just in case her symptoms continue to persist after 4-5 days for a closer look by an Ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

Should she continue to flush the eye with cold water?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, if this has happened just now. She can continue for another 10-15 minutes.

Customer:

Thank you Doctor!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.