Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am to have my cataracts removed. My left eye which is worst

I am to have my cataracts removed. My left eye which is worst is the eye I am having done first. This eye has weaker vision and my right eye is dominant. I had an operation on it as a child to straighten it but using both my eyes together I see peripheral vision from that eye. Covering my right eye up my left eye takes over. When I had the measurements done at the pr-operative assessment the nurse had trouble with my left eye which deviates to the left when I look close up at something and my right eye takes over. She called in another nurse who eventually agreed with her calculation. I offered to close my right eye but they said I didn't need to. During this procedure I couldn't see the small red lights on the machine as I had with my right eye, in fact I couldn't see anything only the edge of the machine with my right eye. I am concerned that if they have got the measurement wrong it could affect what vision I am left with after the operation.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

That is a very valid concern. Have you talked with the surgeon about this? In these cases I do the measurements myself.....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I have only spoken to another staff nurse who told me that I was fussing about nothing and all the staff are trained. At the end of the day it's my sight and I am still worried but I have not the technical knowledge to know what is best

I don't want to wait till the operation day to start querying.

If I were your surgeon I would be happy that you requested a recheck of your lens (called "biometry") calculations. I would be more than happy to recheck them myself, no matter what confidence I had in my staff.

In my professional opinion, the staff nurse was wrong to blow off your concerns. If you are unable to get the surgeon to recheck your biometry, I would cancel the surgery and go to another ophthalmologist.

As you know, this is a very important measurement and everyone, including you, have to be comfortable that the best data possible is being used.

Trust is very, very important when dealing with something as serious as your vision.....

Does this make sense to you?

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS