Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a pain behind the right eye that comes and goes. It

I have a pain behind the right eye that comes and goes. It comes particularly when I get up off the couch (increase blood pressure?) and I can relieve it by pressing the eye, at which time I get a squelching noise, loud enough for my wife to hear (and complain!) and some kind of pressure is released.
I have just had a detailed eye examination (prior to forthcoming cataract removal) at my local hospital so I know there is nothing wrong with the eye itself. But sometimes this pain is quite noticeable.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your analysis is absolutely right in that the eye per se is alright and unlikely to be the cause of the pain behind the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the causes for retrobulbar pain ( pain behind the eye) is sinusitis. That is why it could be related to the position too. But I am not very sure of the noise which comes on pressing the eye but could be from the tendons of the eye muscles which all arise from behind the eye ( our knuckles or any other joint also make a sound when squeezed because of the tendons). The eye is surrounded by four sinuses on all sides and can cause significant retrobulbar pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can try doing steam inhalation at bedtime to relieve any congestion of sinuses and decongesants or antihistaminics .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This can happen if you have had a bout of common cold a couple or more weeks back. It can also happen if one has a known histories of allergies.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if you have any more queries in this regard.

Hello Mike,

I have switched over to Q&A since I did not find you enter the chat. You can view the answer here once you are back again.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Desai. I have had this for some time - a couple of years perhaps, so it is not from a recent common cold. But could be sinuses-related. I have a lot of mucus every morning when I get up, which clears quite easily and does not return until the next morning.

The noise when I press the eye to get relief is a "squishy" noise, as though I am removing trapped air or fluid that is causing pressure and pain.

I can have several days when it is not present. I usually notice it when I am tired after a day at work, and I get up from sitting watching TV - at this point my blood pressure and heart rate will increase.

Some days like today it is almost constant, but this happens seldom. It does not seem to affect my vision.

In my childhood I had a history of sinus problems, including neuralgia on the face and facial sinuses.

Another doctor said

"It's either a fistula to a sinus or air in the lacrimal sac." I am not sure what that means.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Certain symptoms such as increase in heart rate ( blood pressure rise can be recorded to confirm) while getting up from a sitting position is not a normal phenomenon . Blood pressure fluctuations have been noted with change in posture and can be confirmed by recording the same at the physician's office.

As for the noise, one of possibilities is that of a tiny opening in the ethmoidal sinus ( one of the sinuses between the nose and the eye). An ENT( ear, nose and throat) surgeon can confirm this with the help of investigations. This sinus is filled with air and even a small amount of air escaping from it could be causing pressure and pain behind the eye.Though I must say that it is one of the rare symptoms I have come across especially in the absence of history of any trauma or surgery around the eye.I guess the doctor who suggested the possibility of a fistula or a sinus meant the same as above.

Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr Desai

I am writing back as the condition (pain) is worsening and becoming almost chronic. I am about to try steam before bedtime as you suggest. You mention "a tiny opening in the ethmoidal sinus" as a possible cause of the pressure build up behind the eye. Is there a cure for this?

What would you advise I do next? Try decongestants and antihistamine? Or see an ENT consultant at a hospital?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 11 months ago.
Hello Mike,

If steam inhalation does not help, say in a week's time, then you can consult an ENT specialist at a hospital. It is likely that you will be asked to undergo a few investigations.

Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr Desai

The steam inhalation has helped - I did about 15 mins last night. I am about to do it again this morning.

I have a very large amount of catarrh or mucus when I get up in the mornings, and have to blow my nose many times. Once it is gone it is fine until the next morning. I feel this might be linked. It seems abnormal. Do you think this is linked and is there anything I can do about it, with either diet or drugs?

Many thanks

Hello Mike,

It is good to know that the steam inhalation has helped. You can continue with the same till you get relief. It does look like chronic sinusitis. It makes sense to consult an ENT surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

It was a pleasure to have answered your query

Regards
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince