Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am having a time trying to find a antibotic that I can take.

I am having a time trying to find a antibotic that I can take. I am allergic to penicillin, xray dye and shell fish. Every thing that I take bothers me. Some cause joint pain, turn my tounge black, cause blisters in my mouth, make my face, eyes swell and itch. Please help me.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I'm sorry to hear that your current doctor has not done any tests to further workup this issue.

I believe that the best thing to do would be to consult with an allergist for skin testing. During this type of testing a large number of substances,in your case antibiotics, are "patch" tested, many times by injecting a small amount under your skin (or maybe a dilute preparation) A few days later the skin is examined and the reaction noted.

I would expect that with the large variety of antibiotics available on the market today that this type of testing will find one that you can safely use.

If needed this same specialist could "desensitize" you to a antibiotic that you are allergic to so that you may be able to use it in the future if necessary.

I've had very good results with a number of patients over the years by referring them for this type of workup.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS