Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I developed a swollen spot under my right eye this morning

I developed a swollen spot under my right eye this morning as I was sitting at my desk at work. It looks like a bug bite but it's not. I'm a little nervous because I'm reading that it could be liver function??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you take a picture of it and post it to your reply to me?
Customer:

Eye Pic
Full Size Image

Customer:

I also have had a really bad sinus cold the past few days and routinely have allergies

Dr. Dan B. : Is it the puffy swelling under your right eye you're talking about? Is the swelling dense and somewhat hard or is it boggy like there is fluid in it? Does it itch?
Customer:

Eye Pic 2
Full Size Image

Customer:

Boggy like fluid, doesn't itch

Dr. Dan B. : The shadow makes it hard for me to tell but is it red? Is it kind if scaly or flaky? Painful or tender to touch?
Customer:

Did you get my second pic?

Customer:

It is a little red but I think mostly from me touching it. It isn't painful or tender or scaly or flaky.

Dr. Dan B. : The second picture didn't quite come through. Can you send it again?
Customer:

Eye Pic 2
Full Size Image

Customer:

The weird part is I could feel it developing within a matter of a minute or two.

Customer:

Better Light
Full Size Image

Customer:

I took another pic in better light

Dr. Dan B. : Thanks for those additional pictures and additional information. From what this looks like and what you said, this seems to be an allergic process. I do not think it is related to sinus issues as this tissue is not contiguous with your tear drainage system. As to exactly what caused the allergic reaction at that precise part of your face, I cannot say and it would be almost impossible to tell. I recommend using cool compresses on it, and 1% hydrocortisone ointment twice per day to help with the swelling.
Dr. Dan B. : If the swelling becomes more dense, more red, and is tender, then this may indicate infection and the need to treat with antibiotics, but I do not suspect this will be the case. Does this make sense?
Customer:

you don't think it is the sign of something more serious?

Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : No, I do not suspect anything more serious at this point.
Customer:

Ok, thanks

Dr. Dan B. : You bet. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology