Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I got a black eye after being hit by an elbow whilst playing

I got a black eye after being hit by an elbow whilst playing basketball.... how does one speed up the recovery of a black eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer: yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cold compresses does help symptomatically but it would mot speed up the healing.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

is there any thing that i can do to speed it up

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A black eye occurs due to accumalation of blood clot around the eye. It will take its natural course and get resolved in 7 to 10 days . Unfortunately no medicines would hasten the healing .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One has to wait for he blood clot to resolve. As it heals it is likely to change color from black to purple to green before it finally disappears.

Customer:

ok, timing on that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is too much of swelling around the eye, then you can take a combination of diclofenac 50 mg +paracetamol 500 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for 3 to 4 days. However this will only reduce the swelling and not the black eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Normally it takes about 5 to 10 days for the clot to resolve if it is small. A large black ye all around the eye would take about 2 weeks to disappear completely.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX compresses help?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it would be better to continue with the cold compresses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To be specific, warm compresses help only in acute inflqmmatory lesions of the lids such as blepharitis or a stye. Cold compresses are better for black eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer your question?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.