Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am 38 years old female. I am very myope. I had a vitrectomy

Customer Question

I am 38 years old female. I am very myope. I had a vitrectomy and gas bubble put in on july 30 for a retina and macular detatchment. The gas buble moved to the frontal cavity on day three after surgery but my retina has already reattached. I still have some gas as i was told it takes longer for the body to process if that happens. Its been about six weeks and i have about less 1/4 diam gas bubble visible. I was to lay upside down for two weeks 24/7.
My eye is not that red anymore and when looking down i can sort of see my fingers. My eyelid is less swollen but still looking a bit droopy. that eye looks smaller and moves creepily to the side when i look at it very up close to the mirror :)
I am on 5 eyedrops two for eye pressure cosopt and alphagan and the atropine, cipro and prednisolone. Originally i was to have cataracs surgery and they were going to fix the tiny hole later. Then a hole opened a bit more but it was still small,and they were going to fix it with laser but the day before surgery my retina and macula detached and i had emergency surgery the next day. surgery went well that according to the doctor. I will have catarac surgery in end of dec or january if everything continues to heal. My next appointment is tuesday. I saw my regular doctor aug 8 and saw an older retina doctor aug 21 to double check all was well and ask questions; again my doctor is considered very good but not as verbal as the more experienced soft spoken specialist but unfortunately he lives two hrs away so its difficult.
Anyways here are my questions:

1. first, is it normal to see like a little pool of water in my pupil? I know its not the gas bubble because that is elsewhere.
2. Today i see some more floaters which the doctor had said is normal but they are a bit bigger not tiny specs like before. And i also see a sort of orange peel looking cluster of floaters in my eye that i didnt see yesterday' morning which is one of the symptoms i saw the night it detached. Last night i had a headache but nothing else out of the ordinary. I dont know if this is an emergency or if its normal. Maybe i had them before but since the gas bubble was bigger i couldnt see them. My doctor is not very verbal and he didnt really give guidelines to watch out for and since my mom is blind from one eye and almost completely blind from the other one i am concerned. She's had things that happen to one in thousands so i want to be as preventative as i can. I started to work 4 weeks after surgery.
3. Lastly i want to know when i can start running and lifting weight regularly. All i have done up to date is walk and just started that last week.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am onlline
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina surgeon.

Thank you for your informative post. Please allow me to go through your questions in order.

I don't type very fast so I may take me a bit to reply. I appreciated your patience :)

The internet messed up....you are on the other side of the world from me, and it showed you were offline.

No problem. We can communicate using this system...

I will now type a response to your questions.....it will take a few moments and then, if you want, we can talk to each other more here...

Here we go..
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok perfect
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im sorry where is the eye answer? Will it show like a reg text on the blue rectangle
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont think its working properly becaucuse i cant see the eye answer
1. The little pool you are seeing could be from a number of things. It could be from a smaller bubble that has broken off from the main gas bubble, it could be from the gas that got in the front of your eye, it might be swelling/hole in the macula area of your retina or corneal edema. In any event the retina doctor will be able to deal with it on your next appointment....you should not worry about this.

2. More floaters are a concern. This could be blood from a new retinal tear that formed as the bubble shrunk. And this orange peel cluster might be the retina trying to come off again.

You should contact your surgeon as soon as possible and discuss this new symptoms with him. Since he knows your eye best he is the one to know if this is a concern or not.

3. I would not want you running or doing exercise lifting weights for at least 8 weeks after surgery, depending on what he had to do and the type of gas used in your eye. Once again, your surgeon is the best person to advise you on a specific time frame.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Marimeli,

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am here :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anyways its incredibly distracting; And lastly when i look at a lamp the middle of the light source is darker than the border and that darkening was also a symptom before
Now with this info what do you suggest i do
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry part of my question didnt turn out
The safest thing to do is call your retina surgeon and/or get in for an eye exam.

It is always better to be safe than sorry in these sorts of things.

The issues you are having looking at the lamp could be from the damage done before your surgery or the surgery itself, or it could be that your retina is detaching again. The only way to know for sure is to have your eye doctor take a look at you.

Make sense?