Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am 56 years old and had 20/20 vision prior to a fall that

I am 56 years old and had 20/20
vision prior to a fall that caused a concussion. I have since been diagnosed as having impaired rod function that is causing blurred vision since the concussion. I hit the upper rear portion of my head on a pole, but did not black out. Is the fall the cause of this impaired rod function? There is no history of this sort of problem in my family and the blurred vision started immediately after the fall and has now been 3 years since this happened?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Dr. Dan B. : What kind of doctor diagnosed you with a rod visual dysfunction? Was that an optometrist or ophthalmologist? If it was an ophthalmologist, was that a retina specialist?
Customer:

It was an ophthalmologist and he did special retinal testing which he said I had impaired rod function. I have also be diagnosed as legally blind since my fall

Customer:

A side note. I am also epileptic, both petit and gran mal

Dr. Dan B. : Does this condition affect both eyes? How long after your head trauma did you notice your vision problems? Did you have any problems with night blindness or decreased vision prior to your head trauma?
Customer:

It affects both eyes. I noticed it immediately and was told I had a concussion and that the blurred vision would go away in a day or two. It never went away. I now have night blindness. I had no problems with my eyes prior to the fall. I did wear glasses, but was correctable to 20/20 vision. I had my eyes checked 6 months prior to the fall and they were corrected to 20/20. No blurred vision or night blindness at that time, but have had it ever since the fall

Customer:

I was told this wasn't caused by an injury, would that be true?

Customer:

I am now 20/200 left and 20/400 right with best correction

Dr. Dan B. : Rod photoreceptor dysfunction caused by traumatic head injury is not an entity that is common or even described before in the scientific literature as far as I can ascertain. Traumatic optic nerve injury can be seen following a traumatic brain injury, so it is not too much of a stretch to imagine retinal dysfunction occurring from this as well. Your case is definitely unusual. As we've been chatting I've been doing a literature search and cannot find any described cases of retinal rod photoreceptor dysfunction occurring solely and strictly from head trauma. I suspect that maybe there could have been a previous, underlying tendency towards rod photoreceptor dysfunction that was stimulated by your head trauma.
Dr. Dan B. : We know a lot about retinal photoreceptor dysfunction, as well as head trauma as it relates vision loss and no description of such a case has been published in the medical literature. However, we as doctors and scientists do not understand everything. I would never say never; you certainly may be a unique case.
Customer:

so could the injury have ended up being like the final straw that caused it if there was an underlying tendancy

Dr. Dan B. : That's what I am hypothesizing. Again, though, there is no scientific basis to back that opinion up, just a postulation or hypothesis on my part.
Customer:

Thank you for your help. I just still don't understand how my vision was fine prior to my fall and then after the fall it became blurred and having night blindness. It has taken me almost three years to even find out that I have this impaired rod function. It is just frustrating

Dr. Dan B. : I can't even begin to imagine how frustrated you must be. I wish I had a concrete answer for you. As I tell my patients many times, we understand a lot of medical science, but in regards XXXXX XXXXX much there is to understand about the human body, what we understand is a small pittance of the myriad of mysteries. Unfortunately, I suspect you fit into that category. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

No, thank you Dr. B., you have a blessed day!

Dr. Dan B. : You too. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology