Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have to have my lens implant removed in order to have a replacement

I have to have my lens implant removed in order to have a replacement implant some weeks later after the inflammation subsides. Will I have to wear a patch during that time? And if not, will I be able to see any image out of that eye at all?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

that is a very good question. You should not have to wear a patch for the entire time, but you might wear one the day after the surgery to remove your old lens.

Dr. Rick :

You will be using drop to prevent infection and to help reduce the swelling.

Dr. Rick :

Concerning being able to see after the old intraocular lens is removed, you will be aphakic, meaning your eye will not have any lens in it at all. In order to see clearly when you are apakic you would need a special, high power, contact lens or special aphakic glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Since you are going to have another lens placed in your eye some weeks later, it would not make sense to purchase a special contact lens or glasses.....

Dr. Rick :

As such, while you will be able to see blurry objects, light, dark etc, you will not have useful vision in that eye while you are aphakic.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm trying to get an idea for planning my work schedule for that between-lens period. Right now I have monovision. The distance vision from that eye is very blurry because it's a near-sighted eye. For example, with that eye open and the other closed, I can see there are trees about 500 yards out, sky above that and a telephone pole sticking up but not much else. Can't see individual trees or anything, just vague shapes. However, with both eyes open (the other is far-sighted) my brain somehow processes it all into a decent 3D image allowing me to drive at night, speak in front of a group, shopping, walking down the street, etc. without glasses. I don't need much of an image from the eye to make that happen and I'm trying to find out is if that same blurry image will come through in a lens-less state.

John,

I would suggest you wear a "pirate patch" over your aphakic eye and have "glasses" made, with a lens only in your working eye (possibly clear glass in the other side to balance the weight of the eyeglass frames) using bifocals so you can see near and far while waiting for your new intraocular lens to be placed in your eye.

You may not have to wear the pirate patch if the blurry vision you get out of your aphakic eye doesn't bother you. Some people it bothers, some it doesn't.

You will have little to no depth perception during this time so be very careful walking, picking up a hot coffee cup etc.

The image will be much, much more blurry in the aphakic (lens-less state) than what you have now.

make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest