Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a very swollen area under one eye and along the lower

I have a very swollen area under one eye and along the lower lid. It developed first as a simultaneous swelling of the lower lid at the same time as a bump arose just at the bottom of the soft part below my eye (the place where an undereye circle can reach). Now it's swollen more so that basically the whole undereye area from the lashes to the bottom of where i'd get undereye circles is all swollen. It's tender and somewhat itchy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Is the swelling hard & dense or is it soft and squishy like there is fluid in it?
Dr. Dan B. : Can you take a picture of it and attach it to your next reply to me?
Customer: More soft and squishy than hard and dense. Though it's more taut along the eyelash area. Trying to figure out how to attach a pic here -- any trick to that?
Dr. Dan B. : There should be an icon you can use that will allow you to attach a picture.
Dr. Dan B. : Otherwise, try this:
Dr. Dan B. : Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.Go to www.tinypic.comUpload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the fourth one down from the top of the page.Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok, hopefully you can get a sense for the swelling from this. Not sure if it does justice to the full extent of the swelling. It's the left eye

Customer:

(Sorry about the delay; was having Internet connection probs)

Customer:

You're there, right?

Dr. Dan B. : Yep. I'm here. Let me take a look at your picture.
Dr. Dan B. : Based on your description of this, and your picture, I suspect this is an allergic dermatitis. Let me elaborate...
Dr. Dan B. : First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. I would also suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Doing all of these things as directed, it still may take a few days before you notice a significant lessening of the overall symptoms, but the itching should start to respond to this quickly.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?
Customer:

ok -- could this be linked to a food allergy? i ate a lot of dairy the day before i woke up with this, and i usually avoid dairy because of less-dramatic symptoms

Dr. Dan B. : It's not terribly likely that this is just due to an excessive dairy consumption, but it is not impossible. Usually excessive consumption of a food you're allergic to does not cause such a focal allergic reaction. However, I wouldn't say it is impossible.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

So what would I be reacting allergically to? I don't have pollen or other allergies, normally

Customer:

Just want to be sure I avoid whatever it was that make this happen in the first place!

Customer:

I mean, that made this happen in the first place

Dr. Dan B. : Unfortunately, when this kind of thing happens, it is usually some environmental allergens that is difficult, if not impossible to pinpoint. It is quite rare that my patients or I can discover one, particular allergen that causes a reaction like this that they can avoid in the future.
Customer:

That makes sense. I have moved to NYC and a new apartment recently so it's possible there are new environmental allergens around me

Customer:

So a Q based on my preference to avoid overmedicating whenever necessary -- how likely do you think this is to go away on its own, if I rest and apply cold compresses and drink lots of water and stay healthy? And/or, of the treatments you advise, are all of them absolutely necessary or could I do without some of them?

Dr. Dan B. : I'm sorry. I've had some connection problems on the website today. I would say you could definitely just do the rest and cool compresses and likely over a week or so it will go away. If you we're to try one med I would go with an oral antihistamine like Claritin--a very safe drug and would give you the most bang for your buck.
Dr. Dan B. : I hope this has been helpful. It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology