Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What is treatment of blurred vision from dehydration?

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your blurred vision?

Was it in both eyes at once?

Did it improve with blinking?

What type of doctor told you that your vision was blurry due to dehydration?

Did you have any other symptoms during this episode of dehydration?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I suffered severe diarrhea for about 30 hours. Ultimately, I self administered Immodium which apparently caused the severe abdominal cramps I experienced and Soma to relax the muscles which did cause relief. During this dehydration, I was generally dizzy and suffering poor vision when not resting. Since this morning, I have been unable to focus my eyesight. If I close one eye, I can see more clearly. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 4/13/2009 and have been given a month's reprieve from chemotherapy. I will consult my oncologist 9/17 upon my return to FL from Colorado. Thank you for any feedback that can help.

It is very unlikely that dehydration is the sole cause of your blurry vision. From what you have posted it sounds like you may have a problem with the muscles that align your eyes.

With your history, and the weekend coming up, I would feel a lot better if you got in to see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) today for a full exam to figure out what, exactly, is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have scheduled an appointment for a complete eye exam with a specialist today. Thank you.

My pleasure.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a good weekend.

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what the ophthalmologist found on Friday.

I hope everything is OK and you vision is back to normal.

Dr. Rick