Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

which contact lenses and manufacturer provide the most breathable

which contact lenses and manufacturer provide the most breathable contacts
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most important thing with contact lenses is to get a good fit. This requires an exam by an experienced optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, there are many contacts that have excellent oxygen permeability, Dk.

Dr. Rick :

Focus night and day, Purevision and acuvue oasys are just a couple of examples of excellent contact lenses. Which ones would work best for you can only be found after a complete eye exam and contact lens fitting session.

Dr. Rick :

To directly answer our question, the most breathable contact lenses on the market today are made out of a silicone hydrogel material, which let in huge amounts of oxygen and resist drying out, even in the presence of lower tear volume production.

Dr. Rick :

There are many brand names that use this material, such as CooperVision Biofinity, acuvue 1-Day TruEye and airoptix Aqua just to name a few.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure that your eye doctor will be able to fit you with a very high oxygen permeable lens.

Dr. Rick :

Purchasing cheap contacts is, in my opinion, penny wise and pound foolish. This is not the place to try to save a dollar or two....do that when you purchase a computer or a new pair of shoes :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you Dr. Rick, I do have a prescription and fitting (is that the BC or DIA ?) and I do want as good or better than Softmed, that is what they gave him at the Dr's office >>for instance are Biomedics 55 Premier as good or better or these Aqualens 55 Premier, I do not even know what the Softmeds are made from. He usually wears 2 week disposables

Chrissy,

The fitting takes into account the BC and diameter, as well as how the lens sits on your eye.

Softmed contacts, Biomedics 55 Premier and Aqualens 55 Premier are the exact same lens with just a different label for marketing purposes. Actually, there are over 26 different names for this lens, depending on what retailer is selling them!

They are made of "45% Ocufilcon D" which is a proprietary compound.

That being said, they are a good lens but, personally, I like acuvue oasys better.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest