Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi, my poodle accidentally scratched my eye yesterday. It was

Hi, my poodle accidentally scratched my eye yesterday. It was a little red yesterday, but not really today. It feels a little strange, like when someone blows air in your eye, but it doesn't really hurt

What can I do?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Any significant change to your vision? Any light sensitivity?
Dr. Dan B. : Assuming if there isn't any significant vision change or light sensitivity or pain, I would just recommend using artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day, every day, for the next several days. If, however, you do develop significant pain, light sensitivity, or decreased vision, then you should go visit your eye doctor as you may require some antibiotics. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

yes this makes sense

Customer:

what kind of artificial tears should i get? something like visine?

Dr. Dan B. : You could use Visine, but I would make sure you get the Visine preparation that does not have a get the red out or redness reliever chemical in it. Other brand-name tears that are good are Refresh, Soothe, or Blink.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Ok, I will try one of those. And currently I have no sensitivity to light or any problems with vision, I noticed that when I was out yesterday the breeze seemed to cause irritation and it made it get more red, but currently it looks fine

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Thanks for that additional information. I suspect you'll be just fine. I hope this is been helpful.
Dr. Dan B. : Any other questions I can help you with?
Customer:

thank you so much, it has, I work at a hospital and I'm around sick patients all the time, do you think that there is a higher risk for infection if I go to work with this recent scratch in my eye?

Dr. Dan B. : None at all.
Customer:

Thanks again, this has been very helpful

Dr. Dan B. : Goof. Glad to hear it. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
Customer:

No problem, thank you