Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hey there, approximately 6 years ago i had a foreign body removed

Hey there, approximately 6 years ago i had a foreign body removed from my eye.
The doctor used a 'drill" to remove a rust ring,at this point i had to keep my eye open so he could do his thing.Then it felt like something 'let go',after the amount of pressure he put on my eye..
Since this time i have had facial droop,a deeper expression line on the left side of my face,and the constant feeling of 'throbbing' due the droop. Ophthalmologists say there is nothing wrong.
Is there muscle damage,nerve damage?? I dont know what to do anymore,and ive been dealing with it for so long now.
Thanks in advance

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

There is no way that the removal of your corneal foreign body and the use of the rust ring drill is related to the difficulties you are currently experiencing.

I would suggest you have a complete examination by a neurologist to see if the true cause of your facial droop etc can be found.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey ther doc,
Sorry for the late rating,I just wanted to try and explain what happened a little better..
The doctor used a burring tool to remove rust. He was so heavy handed ,i can remember that I was tensing my eye so hard,wanting to close it,but obviously I couldn't as he had a burring tool in it,it was painful,and watering very much also. The tensing of my eye was so forceful I actually felt the release of muscle tension around my eye. Is it possible he hyperextended my muscles around my eye,and damaged them?
I now have a constant feeling of muscle droop,and there seems to be a gathering of "tissue" in my expression line on my face. I can actually feel what seems to be an "untensioned" muscle when I run my finger over it,as compared to my right side which has an even tone/plane.
Thanks in advance.