Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma here. I was told by my

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I was told by my opthomologist that I have "dry eye", which apparently is a common disorder. As a result of the dry eye, I have been becoming increasing photophobic to the point where it's hard for me to go outside when it's sunny. I had every eye exam possible, from visual field tests, to dilation, to pressure test, everything, and was told I have otherwise very healthy eyes for a 40 year old male.

I had a headache that was so bad that the on-call doctor from my PCP's practice advised me to go to the hospital to get a CT scan, just to be on the safe side. The results were negative, they even checked for sinus infection, and ruled that out as well.

The onset of this condition, before being diagnosed, caused me great anxiety as I thought I was going to lose my vision. I was prescribed an antidepressant, which I later found out made the condition worse. As a result, I discontinued use of the AD after 6 days.

I've done everything I was told (warm compresses, continuous use of artificial tears, etc) and the condition doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm at my wits end. Is there a solution for this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Have you been using artificial years on a daily basis? How many times per day? Have you tried Restasis, a prescription drop?
Customer:

Yes, I use artificial tears at least 8-10 times a day. I use Refresh Plus. I've never tries Restasis, but I've been reading about it. Very mixed reviews from what I've seen.

Dr. Dan B. : Presumably, your photophobia and headaches are from your dry eye condition, as long as the severity of it correlate with someone having severe headaches and light sensitivity. The reason I say this is because I have seen on more than one occasion a patient who does have some degree of dry eye and also has headaches and photophobia but the headaches and photophobia are caused by something else entirely as their level of dry eye is too mild to explain these symptoms.
Dr. Dan B. : If your level of dry eye is significant and yet you are still having these symptoms despite using artificial tears 8-10x/day, then you are in dire need of a thorough dry eye evaluation with a corneal specialist. It's possible that you could benefit from using a drop like Restasis but it certainly isn't for everyone. Ultimately though I think you've reached the level of complexity in your disease where you will need that thorough work up by the ultimate subspecialist, which is the cornea specialist.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology