Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello. My name isXXXXXm 32 years old. In 2003, I had

Customer Question

Hello. My name isXXXXX 32 years old. In 2003, I had a retina detachment in my right eye due to macular degeneratio. I received scleral buckle surgery and have been doing wonderfully. Since age 12, I have suffered from migraines WITH aura. A scary occurrence that is usually itch out infarction after. The AURA usually begins with a small propellor like spot in my vision. Gradually this expands and gets worse u til I have vision loss associated with speech difficulties, numbness and tingling etc. This is usually my aura and signs of a migraine. About TWO WEEKS ago, I noticed what appeared to be the start of the AURA in my left eye. It was located at the top of my vision in what appeaed to be a curved line of many different flashes (very similar to my aura). As of now, the top visual aura comes and goes and there is an occasional small circular aura in the central vision of my left eye. The symptoms seem to be in three stages. First, I can see it easily all the time without effort. Second, I have to focus on something bright, move my eye a certain way to see the disturbance and third (rare) there is no disturbance at all.
I do not currently have health insurance and also suffer from anxiety disorder (ex-worrying excessively about anything unusual). Both of the circumstances as well as reading the reviews have led me to this site.
My questions are: is this something I should be seeing a doctor ASAP for? Due to the lack of insurance, if this isn't something serious, or something that is likely to go away on its own, I will hold off.
Is this a sign of a detachment in the left eye? I did have a laser treatment for a few spots of weakness in the left eye a few years ago.
Is this due to a migraine aura change or something neurological I should be concerned about?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Anxious and worried
Estelle
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer : Yes I'm on!
Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, give me a minute and let me type out a response. Thanks.

Customer : No problem and thank you!
Dr. Dan B. :

But first, you said, "A scary occurrence that is usually itch out infarction after." What do you mean by that?

Customer : I meant without the headache. My auras involve visual disturbances as described. Along with trouble with speech and numbness and tingling in the face, fingers, etc. I do experience mild headache pain after the aura is finished, but not the severe head pain most people associate with migraines.
Dr. Dan B. :

Have you seen a neurologist who has diagnosed you with migraines or is this a conclusion you have come to on your own? When this started happening in your LEFT eye two weeks ago, did you cover your right eye to see if it was only in your left? Did you also cover your left eye to see if it would go away? Or did this just appear to be in the left side of your visual field?

Customer : I did see a neurologist in 2007 who had said that since the migraines and auras were only occurring every few months, it wasn't necessary or beneficial to take medication for it.
Customer : I also had an MRI of the brain at that time that came back normal
Customer : As for you question
Customer : I have covered each eye to check the occurrence. When my left eye is covered, I do not have any examples of the aura or vision issues I am describing to you. I have done this quite a few times over the course of the two weeks. When I cover my right eye, it is evident to me that the disturbances are only in the left eye and in the visual field associated with that eye only
Dr. Dan B. :

So is this happening constantly in the left eye, or does this come and go?

Customer : It comes and goes. As I mentioned in my initial question, it seems to be occurring in three types. One being that it is clearly evident, both in my central vision and the upper visual field of my left eye. The second is that it is only seen when looking at a bright surface ( the sky, a computer screen, etc). The third (which is rare) is that there seems to be no disturbance at all.
Customer : It hasn't progressed the way my typical auras do. The only change in the last two weeks is that instead of it being just at the top of my visual field, there is also a small spot that comes and goes (more of the time it's there) in the central vision of my left eye
Dr. Dan B. :

Does the spot in the central vision have this jagged/electrical type flashing associated with it?

Customer : It's not jagged. It seems to be circular in nature and semi-bright and moves in place in a propeller like motion. It is fairly identical to the way my auras usually begin. Only as I said, they typically progress over 20/30min and then disappear completely
Dr. Dan B. :

But how long will this stay there?

Customer : About 2/3min then it goes away, then returns shortly after (maybe another few minutes later) is there for a few min, then goes away and returns. In somewhat of a cycle
Dr. Dan B. :

And this comes and goes independently of the aura in the superior part of the visual field which also comes and goes, but which has the flashes that are similar to your auras in the other eye and in the past, is that correct?

Customer : Yes that's correct
Dr. Dan B. :

When was the last time you saw your neurologist?

Customer : In 2007 I also keep an aura/migraine log and they haven't increased at all in frequency or type. This is the first occurrence I have had that is any different,
Customer : that is also when I had an MRI of the brain which cam back normal
Customer : I did also recently have my annual exam with my retina surgeon who preformed the buckle surgery on the right eye, I saw him. And had both eyes dilated and examined in June of this year. All was fine and I was told to come back in a year
Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, let me say that there are two factors about your migraines that make them unusual and different from garden variety migraines. Number one, you seem to have symptoms in one eye at a time (usually migraines are seen predominantly in one visual field, but not necessarily in one eye, only at a time). This suggests a retinal migraine. This is further made unique by the fact that you suffer from stroke-like symptoms in conjunction with your migraines (difficulty speaking, numbness) which are not normal for migraines. This makes your migraines what are called "complicated migraines." The neurologist workup to include the MRI in 2007 was appropriate. The fact that your retina surgeon stated everything looked good is a positive development. I suspect that this is just a development or change in your migraines, which is not uncommon at all for migraine sufferers. Some migraineurs can have a complete change in the quality/character of their migraines at any point in their life. Many stop having them altogether for several decades, and then--poof--they are back and totally different. So in this respect, I think this is just a change in the character of your migraines. However...

Dr. Dan B. :

However, because you have retinal AND complicated migraines, you are not typical. This puts me at further ill ease counseling you to just "observe" this. I would recommend, at the very least, calling your neurologist and informing him/her of this change in your symptoms and getting their advice. I would be very hesitant to tell you just to sit on this, even though it's likely just a change in the migraine character, because of the possibility that this represents something other than just migraines. Does this make sense?

Dr. Dan B. :

I have to step away from my desk for 10 minutes or so. I promise I will be back to finish our conversation, though. However, if you are satisfied with our conversation and have no further questions...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer : Oops!!
Customer : I clicked the wrong rating
Customer : I intended to reply. It does make sense. As a last question, since you had stated that I should contact a doctor in case it is something other than migraines, I was just wondering what else could be causing so,etching like this?
Customer : *something. Auto correct is not the best
Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, sorry for my absence. The other thing I worry about, that could possibly be causing these symptoms is a stroke--again, I stress this is quite unlikely, but not impossible (even in someone as young as you). I would recommend NO obsessing or worrying about this. I just think the call to the neurologist's office is the complete thing to do to make sure they also feel the same way as I do. While I see many a migraine patient, the neurologist is really the specialist that is best equipped to manage migraines (and strokes, for that matter).

Customer :

Hi just to update you since the other day. The initial visual problem I had contacted you about seems to be about the same and maybe a little bit better. However, there is now a small spot in the central vision of my left eye (same eye as the initial eye) that also comes and goes. Very similar to my aura starts of the past. Not sure if this should change the initial course of action you advised me of?

Dr. Dan B. : For the most part, no, this does not change my thoughts on this. I still think you should notify your neurologist of this and make sure there's nothing else they want or need to do. However, if this continues to persist for the next couple of weeks or more than I would consider seeing your retina specialist again to make sure there is no swelling in the center of the retina of the left eye, especially since this is new since you last saw him in June. Does this make sense? Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!