Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi Dr. Rick~I think that you said 30 years ago the implants

Hi Dr. Rick~I think that you said 30 years ago the implants were not that good anyway~ an Aunt was in the same time as me and she took a detached retina afterwards~ she was a diabetic I think and perhaps it should not have been done~ anyway another Aunt also took a detached Retina after her surgery many years later~ she flew to a funeral afterwards and blamed that~ would that do it~maybe I am better off with just what I have~Martha
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The clinic got crazy and then I had to go to the OR for emergency surgery....just got home :(

I do not think the flight had anything to do with your Aunts detached retina...And, yes, I do believe you are better off with what you have.

Just the fact that your retina is OK puts you way ahead in that game :)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm gonna get a bite to eat and go to bed. I'm getting too old to work this hard lol!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Nite Nite How old are you may I ask~:-)

52 :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just a young fellow~ especially as compared to me~I Retired from the Bank at age 53~getting to an eye question~ since you seem to be the only reliable one on board~I was so so discouraged with my new Contact ~ especially when mine is for Medical reasons~ my eye actually was paining Sunday and Monday night~ it started off feeling good when I was at her office and for a while when I got home~ then I was on my Computer a lot~ I send longer messages to my sister in answer to hers~ as an example~ anyway yesterday I hated to put the Lens in at all and the Doctor was not working and the other one was too busy to return my call~ that is why I Like Just Answer~I did not use my Computer much yesterday ~ as I had other things to do~ like washing my hair and doing housework and low and behold the contact did not bother me all day~ So do you think the pain comes from too much Computer use~it almost looks like that~why would that be and is my posture not good or something simple maybe~maybe I should not wear it on the computer~

I kind of felt you had to be close to 50~ since you have your own Practice and you mention having a young Associate~ you and he would need lots of Education and when one calls someone young~ we tend to be somewhat older~:-) also you have a son going to College~so I used simple Math and felt you had to be at least pushing fifty~smart huh~ Martha

Martha,

It is very possible that your eye with the contact could be drying out some when you stay on the computer. This is because you tend not to blink as much during this activity.

It has nothing to do with your eye pressure...

You can use the lens when going on the computer. Just lubricate your eye about every 30 minutes or so with the preservative free natural tears. That should really help.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I have a rather important question~would the glaucoma eye drops cause my contact lens to feel uncomfortable~I keep blaming the Optomatrist~ but on Tuesday I washed my hair and of course rinsed my hair well and lots of water would go into my eyes~that day all day my contact felt comfortable~I called the Optomatrist and she said probably it was because I did not use my computer as much that day~ which was true~now I am back to the eye hurting a lot after I wear the lens~ but in my situation I have no other choice~the old fashioned thicker one I ruined seemed to work better~I can't use that anymore~I just wonder if the eye drops left in my eye~ especially Azopt~ which is like a glue~ would interfere with the comfort of my lens~have you ever heard of this or could you find out~I can't think of any other answer~I can't wear glasses instead in that eye~ so I am stuck~I as you know do not have the Implant~Martha~PS It seems so odd that day I washed my hair the contact felt fine all day and I was so encouraged~I have talked to a couple of Pharamists and they said you are supposed to wait at least 15 minutes before putting in a contact lens after inserting eye drops~thanks goodness it does not say to not to~did you ever hear of this and would washing my eye out everyday afterwards take a way the effect of the drops~I think I was putting them in shortly after the drops~what can one do for eye pain~

Martha,

not really,although you should try not to put in your glaucoma drops in your eye when wearing your contact lenses due to the small risk of the preservative in the drops soaking into them.

I don't think the azopt is the root cause of your discomfort....

Washing out you eye is OK, but I'd use sterile saline solution rather then tap water.

Make sense?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Doctor~ I know for sure that you are NOT to put the eye drops in while wearing contacts~what I heard from Pharamists tonight is that after putting your drops in your eyes ~DO NOT then put your contacts in before 15 minutes at least afterwards~they apparently read the directions~ this was after I wrote to you that I talked with them ~ I think I was doing that~ that would explain why the day I washed my hair~I put the lens in much later ~plus my eyes were well rinsed~does this make sense~Martha~I realize you are not into contacts and I should ask someone who is an Optomatrist~ but everyone is closed at night~ my own included~ Martha

Martha,

You are correct. You are not supposed to put the drops in while wearing your contacts....but, what I am saying is that, should it happen at times, it will not kill you :)

But, that being said, perhaps this is one of the sources of your discomfort....give this a try: No contact until 15 minutes after your glaucoma drops

Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You have observed a very important aspect that associated blepharitis (inflammation of the lids) can cause irritation and add to the dry eyes. Since you felt some amount of relief after you used shampoo, I guess it could have contributed. The other thing which have noted about Azopt eye drops is also true. This eye drops contains a preservative called benzalkonium chloride which can cause irritation. Other side effects of Azopt include dry eyes, blurring of vision , irritation , itching. The benzalkonium chloride can also cause deposits over the contact lenses and hence the drops should be put 15 minutes prioe to wearing the contacts. You can follow the above measures and look for improvemen of symptoms. I hope you get relief soon. Take HI Dr. Rick~ This is what Dr.Desai wrote and it does make sense ~Martha~

Martha,

Dr. Desai is 100% correct.

This makes perfect sense.

I'm off to the Packer Football game. Wish us luck in crushing the Washington Redskins :)

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ I hope that your Team won~ anyway I heard back from my sister and she decided to push for an answer to WHY her Insurance would not cover her treatment~ they wrote back and seemed to be under the impression that her treatment~ first of all was not done often or ever to their knowledge~is it that rare in Canada~or anyplace~ they said they only cover treatments done in a hospital setting~ hers was to be~ so she quickly faxed them this information~ she sort of joked and said they must have thought of her as a XXXXX XXXXX sort of thing~ maybe they felt that the treatment was to be given at home or some such place~ so it looks like now it may be covered~I wish I had her sense of humour~I would be worried sick if this was me now~I put my contact in a half hour or more after my drops and thus far it seems okay~ the burning sensation I had was not normal and I am wondering if the Azopt drops did that~ you really have to shake the bottle ~REALLY~ I might have been putting too much in at once~ Have a good day~Martha~

Hi Martha,

They did win :)

Insurance companies are just below snake sh*t in my book....I bet they were just hoping that your sister would give up and then the company would have more money to pay a huge bonus to their CEO again.

I'm glad your eyes are feeling better....

Give my best to your sister.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I did not pay much attention to Blebharitis~but how does one know if you have it~ I don't seem to have a lot of goop coming from my eye~ as I read more about it however I wonder if this is making my contact feel uncomfortable~ there seems to be many treatments on line for it and is baby shampoo the best one or as good~ what causes it and why would it not bother my old contact~I am getting discouraged~at times my new contact feels not bad and then others it burns~ it must be my eye burning and the Azopt drops may be part of the problem~my old contact must have been over five years old and know it should be replaced~but I miss it~I feel so discouraged that I would do that and get glue on it~and they don't make those anymore~it was made thicker than the modern ones out today~I guess this condition is not cureable~how often should I wash with the shampoo if this is what I have~ and once again how do I know for sure if I do have it~does polpspirin help~Martha~

Martha,

The best way to diagnose blepharitis is for your eye doctor to see it during your slit lamp exam.

I think the baby shampoo lid scrubs is the best treatment....and it is very inexpensive :)

It is caused by the normal bacteria that live on your skin getting into the glands on your eyelids and plugging them up. It is very common.

I'd do the lid scrubs once a day for about 5 minutes. You can do it twice a day if you want....it won't hurt anything to do it more.

You do not need polysporin or any antibiotics for this. Antibiotics only work for a short time and really are not the best way to deal with this issue.

Hope this makes sense to you. Have a great day!

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Dr. Rick~You are always so dependable~you rate a 20 or more~:-) anyway if I did the shampoo scrub twice ~like I did this morning~ and last night~ I did it after my glaucoma drops today and would it wash them a way~ I mean the work they do~ or would the eye have absorbed them by then~ thus far my new contact feels okay and I shall keep praying that it will stay this way~ there has to be a reason~ as at times it is okay and others not~ as Dr. Desai said~if it did not fit right it would always feel uncomfortable~ Thanks again~ would my Specialist have done this test when I was there without my knowing~ is it a common disorder with many people having it~Martha~PS I also have occasional black spots~ which are annoying~ but I think you said that even you have them at times~

Martha,

No. It will not wash the glaucoma drops away as long as you wait at least 5 minutes.

Many times ophthalmologists do not even look for blepharitis during a busy office visit...and may not even "see" it, even though they are looking right at it.

yup. Don't worry about the black spots...
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I feel so discouraged~I wore my new contact all day yesterday and waited a hour or so before putting it in after my glaucoma drops~ I was quite comfortable with it and did the same this Morning~ now the eye is sore again~ what could be causing this~ to be okay one day and not the next~I don't have my old faithful one anymore to fall back on~I just can't figure it out~I even did a baby shampoo thing today and my eye did not sting at all~I thought perhaps I had conquered the problem~do you have any ideas~ as I am desperate and down~Martha~PS The sad part is my vision is very good with it in~

Martha,

Don't despair. You will have good days and you will have bad days. It is the nature of the beast.

You never conquer blepharitis....you only keep it at bay..

Keep up the good work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Are you saying it is Blepharitis that is causing this~it seems I could always wear my ancient one with no problem~I don't see any goop and does this condition cause pain~ would just leaving the contact in anyway hurt the eye~ Martha~

Blepharitis may be contributing to it.

You might need some sort of custom made lens to get good comfort....ask your optom about the possibility of ordering one.

If the lens hurts a lot that is a sign that something is wrong. As such you should not leave it in if it continues to be painful.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The lens does not hurt ~it is my eye~ yet yesterday it was fine~ no use asking the Optomatrist~ as there are limited companies who even carry my type of lens and we tried them all~this one seemed to make the most sense~ as she said the fit was good and the vision brought my eye to 20- 25~ better than my good eye~plus they are monthlies~ this was a plus and would be more sanitary~ I always had to get a Lens that were not disposable~ it was quite thick and as you say I don't like to put that one in my eye now~I even cut the torn part off~ so would that even make it less safe~it would not be completely round anymore~ I am a bit afraid to put it in~maybe I am not blinking enough~ sorry for bothering you so much~ but you are so reliable and always there for me~ maybe I should try a different cleaning system~ my old one was more complicated with a proxoide type of cleaning~these new ones just are rinsed quickly with a one time solution~ which is supposed to do everything in one step~no doubt the Azopt drops hurt my eye~ but then why not both of them~ it is a very strong drug~according to Dr. Desai~Martha

Martha,

I would not use the lens with the cut off edge....

You could try the other cleaning system...maybe that would work better for you.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD