Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have mild jaundice due to gilberts syndrome. It has been

I have mild jaundice due to gilberts syndrome. It has been noticeable for 6 mos. or more in my eyes, and more recently on my face. I have had a colonoscopy and facial liposuction surgery during this time. I am concerned the condition has not gone away.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This condition will not ever go away. You were born with the genetic issues that cause this disease.

Dr. Rick :

Taking herbs to cleanse your liver will not change a thing...other then to remove money from your wallet.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? This condition, other than causing a statistical increase in your risk for heart disease which at age 60 it seems that you have beat, and the inability to metabolize some drugs in a subset of patients, will not cause you any problems.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do to aleviate the noticeable jaundice?

Dr. Rick :

No. Not really. That is just the way you are.

Customer:

The symptoms of jaundice have been noticeable in the last 6 mos. Other symptoms like fatigue seems that has been noticeable many years ago.

Dr. Rick :

you should eat regularly as fasting can raise your bilirubin level with this disease.

Customer:

Is there any research going on with this that I can look forward to. I would not like to think this can effect me the rest of my life.

Dr. Rick :

If your jaundice seems to have gotten worse lately you should have a complete exam. Just because you have GS doesn't mean you can't come down with other problems that would raise your bilirubin, such as blocked bile ducts from a stone.

Dr. Rick :

Since this is a genetic disease it would require a genetic fix. There is research on this type of medical treatment but it is in the very earliest of stages.....not gonna really be available in our lifetime.

Customer:

I had a complete physical in May, with blood tests. My bilirubin no. was 1.1, the lab said normal was 0.2 to 1.1. All other liver blood tests were well within normal. That is why my MD suggested GS.

Customer:

Thanks for the professional opinion.

Dr. Rick :

It would be very unusual for your first diagnosis of this condition to be at age 60. I think you should get a second opinion from a Gastroenterologist/hepatologist before accepting this as fact.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.