Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi Dr. B. - I think I have the same problem as another questioner

Hi Dr. B. - I think I have the same problem as another questioner about one year ago. I have developed tiny clear blisters in the very lower part of my lower eyelid. Having contacts in makes the irritation less. But I have noticed that since I have been wearing contacts (over a year now); I have yellow "triangles" on either side of my irsi (in both eyes) that I never had before contacts. Then there is this issue of tiny blister like bumps (3). My eye doctor said I have some sunburn on the white parts of my eyes, hence the yellowish triangles. I don't think this is correct, since these showed up after I got contact lenses. Any explanation you can offer on these two issues would be great.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hello and thanks for your question. Can you take a picture of these yellow triangles and post them to your reply?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. B I think it is called a pinguecula on my eye. I have attached a photo of it (not my eye but I found it on the internet and it is exactly like mine). The odd thing is that I never noticed it until I got contacts about 2 years ago. Since this pinguecula is supposedly from sun damage, I am wondering if my contacts focus sunlight on my eyes.... or if the cause is something else.

As for the tiny clear bubbles (2-3) inside the deep lower eyelid, I can find no photos what soever on these. All the photos I find are just whitish bumps either on or under the eyelid, which is not what I have.

As far as the clear bumps go, This is likely a conjunctival cyst. A cyst is where the tissues of the body form a protective layer if cells (and usually fluid) around a local irritant to seal it off. In the care of conjunctival cysts the irritant can be anything from a foreign-body to an eyelash or just some inflammation in the eyelids. These are very common and aside from leading to a foreign-body sensation, they usually do not cause significant problems. They usually will resolve in their own in 1-4 weeks but have been known to take shorter or longer to resolve on occasion. Because complete and total excision (not just draining then) is the only way to get them to resolve proactively and completely, these are usually not opened up by an eye doctor but allowed to resolve spontaneously.

In the meantime, using artificial tears 3-4x/day can help with any irritation caused by these as will using cool compresses.

Concerning the pinguecula, no, contact lenses do not cause this. They do not focus UV rays to exacerbate these. It is most likely they were forming, but you did not notice them because you were not putting things in your eyes on a daily basis.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only one more question, can I expect these pinguecula to grow and if so can I get them removed?

Yes, it is possible for these to grow, it is also possible to have these removed surgically if they become symptomatic to you.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology