Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

my daughter was stung on the eyelid this morning. it is now

my daughter was stung on the eyelid this morning. it is now swelled and puffy and she cant open her eye. she has taken benadryl and it hasnt helped
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is she having any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

Any swelling anywhere else?

Dr. Rick :

Any problems breathing?

Dr. Rick :

When you pry her eyelids open, does her eye look white and normal?

Dr. Rick :

Is her vision OK?

Customer:

not feeling well now somewhat labored breathing

Customer:

well out of one eye it is the one she got stung on she cant open

Dr. Rick :

If you pry open her swollen eyelids and look at her eyeball, does it look normal to you? As you hold the lids open for her, can she see as she usually can without glasses?

Customer:

ill check

Dr. Rick :

k

Customer:

\i cant get it to pry open its really swelled up

Customer:

and hurts her

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Did the eye swell up right away?

Dr. Rick :

What does she think stung her?

Customer:

started swelling within about 5 minutes after she got stung

Customer:

thats when she took benadryle and ice

Customer:

it was a small black bug that flys'

Customer:

looks kinda like a beetle

Dr. Rick :

And, if I understand you correctly, the swelling has gotten much worse as the day has progressed and it is now at the point where you can not even pry open her lids due to the pain. Is this correct?

Customer:

yes thats right

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, from where I am sitting, and as a physician and a father of 5 myself, there is only one option: Get a good book and go to the ER.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yeah makes sense to me

Dr. Rick :

I hope she feels better soon :)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss with me this evening?

Customer:

thank u and yes it was helpful

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Renee,

I was just thinking about your daughter and wondering what the ER docs thought on Sunday. I hope your daughter is back to normal and all the swelling is gone.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.

Dr. Rick MD FACS