Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I sometimes wake up with my left eye feeling like it was bruised

I sometimes wake up with my left eye feeling like it was bruised or something. It is lightly swollen but it is hard to tell, and only really hurts when i touch it. No visible bump or redness either. This isn't the first time either. It usually goes away in a day or two.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the swelling noticed only in the left eyelids?

Customer:

Yep

Customer:

only in the left, yes

Customer:

Umm... hello?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

sorry for the delay.......

Customer:

It's okay

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the possibilities is that of meibomitis or posterior blepharitis. It is a kind of non-specific inflammation of the meibomian glands ( modified sebaceous glands present in the eyelids).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It can treated effectively with the help of few simple home remedies which are very effective .

Customer:

Okay, is there a way to avoid the swelling in the future too?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

• First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly( for 10 minutes duration, thrice a day). Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.

• Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.

• Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have known history of recurrent acne or dandruff?

Customer:

Minor in both cases yes. Like most would usually at my age.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Okay. In that the above mentioned home remedies should be sufficient.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

in that case

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You must continue with these measures for about 3-4 weeks before you begin to notice the improvement.

Customer:

Okay, well then. I appreciate the help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince