Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I got a small shard of glass in my eye yesterday and think

I got a small shard of glass in my eye yesterday and think it's still in there. What should I do? How urgent is this? Can I wait until tomorrow to see an opthomologist or do I need to head to an emergency room stat?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to discuss your question now?
Customer:

Yes. Sorry for the delay.

Customer:

Hello Dr. Tom. What is your advice?

Dr. Tom : Since you appear to be off-line and can't respond to this live chat I'll go ahead and give you an opinion. Since you are confident that a piece of glass went into your eye, the most prudent thing for you to do is go to an urgent care facility. The doctors there will be able to examineUnder high magnification to determine if any damage is done and to remove the object. Most urgent care facilities will have an ophthalmologist on call. It will be a much quicker way for you to get to professional care. In most cases, a superficial piece of glass can be removed quite easily with no permanent damage. However left on unattended it can be the source of infection or other problems problems. May I answer anything further for you?
Customer:

Sorry for the delay. I guess that means an emergency room visit, then, right?

Dr. Tom : Yes, that would be in your best interest. Either an emergency room Or one of the urgent care centers. Either can do a good job for you. It's just most prudent for you to have this possible problem evaluated and And dealt with as soon as practical. Is there any other particular question about this that I can help you with?
Customer:

Nope. That's it. Many thanks.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems