Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my grandaughter is 6 a bright happy girl but for the last few

my grandaughter is 6 a bright happy girl but for the last few weeks has been complaining of eye aches she takes claritin daily have any help she says she has a headache in her eye

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do her eyes look white and normal to you?

Dr. Rick :

Do they cross at all?

Dr. Rick :

Does she complain that the light hurts?

Dr. Rick :

Does she complain about not being able to see clearly?

Dr. Rick :

Is she nauseated/throwing up?

Customer:

yes no yes yes she has been nauseated no throwing up

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for that extra information....and well said :)

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of the "headache in her eye" is a migraine or sinus issue. When she was seen for the bacteria in her urine, was the headache discussed with her pediatrician?

Customer:

yes it was but she saw nothing noteworthy

Dr. Rick :

As a father of 5 myself I would still feel better if she had a complete eye exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist as one of the stops in the workup of her pain

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, then, it is time to move on to a different doctor. I would start with the pediatric ophthalmologist. If that is normal, then I would consult with a pediatric neurologist/headache specialist.

Dr. Rick :

I do want to take a moment to say that it is very, very unlikely that this is a brain tumor or something terrible like that....but all of us Grandparents always think of this one first ;)

Dr. Rick :

I've got two of the little buggers myself :)

Customer:

thank you for your input you stated what i felt

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great weekend and give my best to your granddaughter.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Hi Patricia,

I was just thinking about your Granddaughter today (I'm having a migraine :( and was wondering how is doing.

I hope she her eyes checked out OK and she is well on her way to feeling better.

Let me know if I can be of any further service. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick