Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

You answered my UGH question last month. You said what my

You answered my UGH question last month. You said what my doctor and his associates have been saying, that I must have my lens removed and replaced and they referred me to a surgeon for the operation. Somehow I thought that would mean pop the old one out and the new one in in the same operation. However, it means remove the old one, wait six weeks with no lens while any inflammation settles down and then insert a new one. Not looking forward to the six week wait but it's tolerable I guess. I have mono vision and the problem eye has been my near-sighted eye, so I have to learn to use a bifocal lens in just one eye. They say I can go back to having a near-sighted eye after the second operation.

Does this all sound right to you? Is it difficult to use a bifocal on just one eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Yes. That sounds like an excellent plan and it tells me that you are in the hands of a well trained and experienced eye surgeon.

Since your vision will be very, very blurry once your lens is removed you should be able to use bifocals,or even single vision reading glasses (this probably would be easier, if less convenient) without much problem.

If the blurry field of view from your, now aphakic, eye is a problem you could just wear a patch if needed.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best and a rapid recovery to full vision in both eyes. Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to purchase some bifocals to practice on them. I take it you can't do the remove/replace in the same operation? Like changing the headlight in your car?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

I was just wondering how the removal of your lens went. I hope it solved the bleeding issue, your eye pressure is normal and you are ready to get your new IOL placed.

I hope you are doing well.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It went perfectly. So much so that I have decent distance vision in that eye with no lens at all. Problem is the surgeon is talking about my using a contact lens instead of another implant. I understand some of the issue, that I have a sclarel buckle on that eye and once had a terrible retinal detachment. He might want to leave well enough alone. Problem is I really loved the monovision I had with that eye being near sighted and the other being far sighted.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
John,

I'm glad to hear the excellent news! Congrats :)

You can try the monovision with the contact lens and see how it goes.

If you don't like it you can always have a lens implanted. Nothing is lost by the delay/contact lens trial.

Does this make sense.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD