Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Rick~I know that you are not a contact expert~ but I

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick~I know that you are not a contact expert~ but I was putting on a fingernail with glue and then took my permanent contact out of its case to soak it~ a bit of glue got on it and a small whole is at the very edge of the contact would this hurt my eye~ Martha
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, Martha, that small hole is a big problem :(

Dr. Rick :

The contact lens is now trash.....sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

Do not put it in your eye as it could cause a corneal abrasion, which might lead to a corneal infection. At the very least it will irritate your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dr. Rick says:
11:21 AM
11:22 AM
11:22 AM
11:23 AM

You are going to need a new lens....

11:23 AM
Does this make sense to you?
11:23 AM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ I know it makes sense ~ but I have two others since I moved here and they can't seem to make them fit right~ I am tired of running to that optometrist~ my old one still works~ as I looked after it well~the little tear is right at the very edge no bigger than a pin size~ could I cut it off with scissors ~that little tear I mean~ otherwise I don't know what to do~I am wearing one of the new ones right now taking your advice~I see that I spelled hole as whole~I must be upset~ a person had just called before this and it is a scam trying to hack a person's computer~I was smart enough to just hang up~so cutting that little edge off would not help??~They don't make my lens anymore and thus they are having a hard time to get me one~Martha~

Martha,

I would love to say that this tear is OK, or that you could trim it off with a small scissors.....but, alas, that is not the truth.

Contact lenses with damage/tears are very dangerous and can cause nothing but trouble if put in your eye.

Sorry about that...and good job on the scam.

By the way, I discussed this with my colleague and Fletcher agrees with me ;-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hi Dr. Rick~My son just took me to a walk in Clinic and the Doctor said my eye had no glue or anything wrong with it~ he examined the contact and said it was okay~ as the little rip in at the far edge a long ways from where the cornea is~ so it is not touching it or near it and thus was safe~ does this sound right~my eye feels very tender right now however and I have no contact in at all~ maybe I was poking at it too much today trying the three that I have~there is a small amount of white sentiment~ I don't know if it is from the Azopt drops or that other problem~does this sound sensible to you~Martha I forget if this white goop sort of thing is serious or is baby shampoo enough to treat it with~

Martha,

It is good that the rip is on the far edge and not touching the cornea.

I still would not use it but I'm glad you had it checked out....

Make sure to order a new one (and I know that this is a problem...) ASAP as this damaged contact should not be relied on.

The goop stuff is not serious.....the baby shampoo will take care of it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Dr Rick~It is not a problem to order a new one as soon as possible~it seems impossible for her to get the right one~ although you probably would advise me to wear one of hers~than this one ~it really is not ripped~it a small pin hole at the edge~ the Doctor drew a picture of where the cornea is and where this pin point was and he said it was okay~ but you give me doubts~I would trust you more than a Doctor~ he was a Medical Doctor~ but he could not see a problem~I was glad my eye was okay and no glue got in there~ although I was quite sure it did not~my eye is very red and sore tonight~ would it hurt to miss my glaucoma drops for one night~the pressure is a way down and I feel it needs a rest~Martha~

Martha,

A pin hole is not as big of a deal, but I would feel better if an ophthalmologist or an optometrist examined the lens under the slit lamp and declared it fit to wear :)

Missing your glaucoma drops for tonight will not be a big deal :)

Have good nights rest.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Handsome Dr. Rick~I Really like this picture of you~:-) anyway I heard from my sister tonight and she said that she Finally got her appointment on October 15th~but it is not covered by Insurance~ she is a Social Worker and even works for the Government~she is surprised because this is not an experimental drug and the Doctor is a Renowed Retina Specialist right across Canada~so she has to pay~ I wonder what poor people do who cannot~ it seems odd when it is so necessary to save one's sight~she was laughing how she can't be in the sun or go to work around floresant lights for a while and she may have to go around wearing a Burka~she has a sense of humour about it anyway~ I saw my Optomatrist today and you are right~ she would rather I did not wear the lens unless absoluately necessary~I am getting at least contacts this time for that eye that are monthlies~ before we could only get one that lasted a year or more and you were stuck if you lost it or tore it~plus to me these would be more sanitary~Martha~

Packers lost :( But it was a good game....

Seems weird that the drug and treatment is not covered. It sure is not experimental as it is the standard of care in the USA now and has been for a number of years....

She doesn't have to worry about the sun that much since it is almost winter and there ain't much sun that far North anyway, eh?

Sounds like a pretty smart optometrist you have there ;)

Monthlies sounds like a wonderful idea...

Have a good evening and try to stay out of jail lol!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ Well I am still out of jail~maybe that is where I should be~I am so pesty with questions~when my Optomatrist says I am 20- 25 and 20- 30 does she mean with correction lens~ the left eye sees well far with the cataract contact and yet the other only does only with glasses~although the opposite is so with my right eye~I can see close real well without glasses~ so I don't know whether to wear them all the time or just when watching TV or driving~ as I have to keep taking them off to see close on my computer or to read~ eventually I will get a contact for distance in the right eye~I have one now but not practiced in putting it in and out~ as for thirty years I did only the left eye and it was a thicker lens~I notice this new disposable one is a lot finer and not as thick~ it thus should feel more comfortable I would think~it does at times and then it tends to bother me~ as did all the ones I have worn over the years~ why would that be~is it maybe that goop in the eye and how often should I use the baby shampoo~I am getting discouraged with my eye situation~it looks like one is near sighted and one far sighted~ is this a normal situation or am I weird~ if I wear a contact in my right and good eye I will need readers for close up~I can't keep running there~ when I lie down to rest should I take the contact out~ I think she said 20- 40 one can't drive~ so mine seems pretty close to that~as I type I don't need glasses and would the 20- 25 cataract eye be better for distance than close~is that what it means~as that is the way it seems to be~sorry for perhaps being so confusing~I guess I am always afraid of going blind~Martha~

Martha,

Glad to hear that you are still outrunning the law ;)

Yes. I would believe that is with correction.

I would do the baby shampoo every time you take a shower...

It is not weird that one eye is near and one is farsighted, especially in your situation....

20/70 is the law for driving in many states. You are OK....

You are not going to go blind. No need to worry.

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I always take a bath and not a shower~but I am sure this baby shampoo thing still works this way~ is it normal for contacts to not feel comfortable all the time~at times I don't even feel it and then others it is annoying~ I can't bother that poor woman again~ she is ordering in a few different makes for me to try out~I assume at the same prescription~ maybe some materials feel better than others~I wish I could just wear my old one~ although no doubt it is really worn out by now~it seems the disposable ones would be more sanitary over all and one would not have the worry of tearing one or losing it~how long do you leave the baby shampoo on and rub it~ I find it does burn~ as you say this may mean it is working~if my sister can't see the second line of the chart~ her vision in that eye cannot be very good~ I worry more than she does obviously~perhaps I should be in a Mental Hospital and not Jail~I was taking Wellbutrin and felt good and then my skin all broke out in a rash~ I had to stop it~ they want to try the Xl version next~as a Retina expert and not a mental health one you no doubt do not understand these things and I should not even ask you~I just feel more comfortable with you~ The XL would go into my system slower is their explanation~ since you also are a Doctor you might understand this theory~but to me it is still the same drug ~you are not an contact expert either~ so I guess you may not know the answers to my many questions~I had better tip you well ~should I wear glasses all the time with eyes like my situation~I see so well up close without them is my problem~Martha ~ yes AGAIN~I can't reach my Optomatrist except Sundays~

It works in the bath too :)

Sometimes contacts do not feel comfortable but it is not normal for them to feel this way a majority of the time

You are correct about disposable contacts :)

You only leave the baby shampoo on for the duration of scrubbing, the rinse it off. Don't worry if it stings a bit...

XL might work better. If you doctor wants to give it a try, you might as well...

You can wear the glasses or contacts whenever and for how long as you want. Not wearing them or wearing them will not damage your eyes at all.

I like tips lol!
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I hope that you got your Tip~you more than deserve it~anyway I wore my contact a good part of the day and if I had not been at her Office yesterday I would worry moreso~I am at my Computer a lot during the day and now my eye really is sore~ so I took the contact out~ it does not appear damaged~my eye does not look extra red or anything and is just very uncomfortable~I am so discouraged~as when I left there yesterday it felt fine~I don't dare put my old one in I don't think~ I have another one that did not seem to have good vision yesterday~ so I sort of insisted on going back to her original try~ which gave 20- 25 vision~ would being at a computer too long cause this or would it be more serious~Martha~

Martha,

Thanks for the tip....I got it :)

When you are at the computer so long you should make sure to use some preservative free artificial tears about every 30 minutes, even if you don't feel like you need it.

This should help. :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So do you think my eye would be okay to put my lens back in~Martha

The torn one? I would only do that in emergencies. The other lens? Yes. You will be fine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No not the torn one and yet my son was here and he felt that I should put that one in~ he said he heard the Doctor say in emergencies I could use it~I have the one back in I had in all day~ I can't figure out to why it feels okay at times and then not~ I see very well with this one~I hope it is not damaged~it dried up one night and stuck to the back of a mirror and I immediately put it in solution~ she put it in yesterday so it seems she would have known if it was okay~ I do not have good close vision with this~ but good far~ whereas my right eye is the opposite~would this is what she is trying to do~ I have to wear glasses for distance in the right eye and yet see perfect up close~I have weird eyes and wish I had good ones~Martha~When an eye is sore like that is it okay~to me it should not get sore by wearing a contact~or as I said too much computer use~your wife must be about to give you the evil eye for supper time or already had :-)

Martha.....you should put the torn one in your son's eye and see what he thinks ;)

It sounds like drying out didn't hurt it.

You are going to have to settle with the eyes you have :(

It is OK to be a bit sore; just use the preservative free artificial tears when on the computer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I know that I have asked this a dozen times before~ but is 20- 25 and 20- 30 pretty good vision~ does it mean better far or close vision ~I just hope this Optomatrist knows what she is doing~ in my old Province I never had to go back so many times~ she ordered a lens and that was it~ although they no longer make this one~they did not have monthlies back then either~I would feel more secure if I could still rely on my old faithful one~although at times it too felt bad in my eye~when a person has the implant I would think that they would have none of my problems or are there some issues with those as well~ would you say my sister's problem is worse then mine~as an example~I am alone now and perhaps have too much time to worry~ Martha~

That is a measure of distance vision only....and it is pretty good. Good enough to drive and do everything else.

The implant would be pretty much worry free...that is why I have suggested it :)

Yes. Your sisters problem is worse than yours.

Have a good evening :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The distance is good ~last question tonite I promise~but my up close vision is extra good in my right eye~the 20- 30 one~ is that normal~ You too have a nice Evening~Hi to Fletcher and the rest of the gang~ is a cock- a- poo a good mix~my sister had one and it was not and yet my son is getting one~ Martha~ Funny how two experts said my surgery would be too risky~too bad that you were not my Doctor :-)

Yes. That is normal. Sounds like you are doing fine.

Fletcher says "RWOooof" back :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Somehow I am glad I am not near that RWOooof~ one would Never know the mother of Fletcher was a German Shephard~I realize that it is larger dogs you like~maybe Fletcher inherited his mother's personality~ since he got NONE of her looks~Martha~

Just her size. We weighed him last week and he is now 97lbs of solid muscle.

Not good to be a burglar in my house at 3 am lol!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Oh My Goodness~ what a size~no you will not have to worry about a Burgler~I just would not want to be that Burgler~Shephards can be quite fierce as well~ as I said I knew them well~ as the RCMP dog master lived next door to us and the dog made me afraid~he came running at me one day and I thought it was lights out for me~Martha~Thank goodness his Trainer was near by~is Fletcher good around kids~is your son lonesome~ you do not have to answer right a way~Martha

Fletcher is great around kids. No problems there....