Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I saw a new optometrist a few months ago who did an eye examination

I saw a new optometrist a few months ago who did an eye examination and concluded that my eyes were quite healthy for a 52-year old without signs of Diabetes or Cataracts. I just got a call requesting that I come in for a pupil dilatation examination because the notes from my previous exam 3-years ago showed that my eyes were brought into focus, but this optometrist had difficulty with it. I have always had an issue with a lazy eye, and did report that during the initial visit to which the Optometrist agreed. Does this test sound necessary under these conditions?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : If they know you have a lazy eye, then I'm not quite certain why they feel it necessary to dilate your eyes because they could not bring that eye to focus. There must be some other reason, and I would recommend asking that reason before feeling it necessary to return for a dilated eye examination. Does that make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!