Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had a massive headache today, but recovered fairly quickly

I had a massive headache today, but recovered fairly quickly & just a mild headache now. I have now slightly rubbed my right eye & it's now swollen shut. Don't know if these two things are related, but I'm really worried!

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Was there anything different looking about that eye before you rubbed it? If you lift open the eyelid, is the eye red? Is the vision changed significantly?
Customer: My eye has been weeping 4 probably 2 weeks. Thought it might b change in weather.
Dr. Dan B. : Has it been itching?
Customer: My eye has been weepy for around two weeks. Thought it might b change in weather. Eye only slightly red when I lift eyelid but appears to be a lot of thick kind of clear mass in there. Vision is as normal.
Dr. Dan B. : Itchy?
Customer: Yes been itchy especially on eyelid. I have a little 'tag' on eyelid which I think has grown
Dr. Dan B. : I don't think this has anything to do with the headache. This is likely related to allergies. Let me elaborate...
Dr. Dan B. : This is called allergic conjunctivitis and it can be quite maddening, but there are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Your symptoms should start to respond to this quickly, though it can take a few days for the swelling to go away completely, despite the fact that it came in over seconds. Does this make sense?
Customer: Does make sense. Thanku. It just started so suddenly, I was quite worried. Maybe the headache was due to allergies as well. Thanku 4 yr advice & will get some drops or oral meds tomorrow! Regards, Penny
Dr. Dan B. : You're welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!