Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Looking for advice on selecting some new eye glasses. Ive

Looking for advice on selecting some new eye glasses. I've been told of the benefits of digital lenses but don't fully understand what they are, how they work or if two digital lens from different sources are of the same quality.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Are you talking about actual digital glasses, something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-iDesign-Digital-Video-Glasses/dp/B002S7J8J2

or regular lenses that somehow are made using "digital" technology or digital measurements?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm referring to the Zeiss Progressive Individual 2 for example.

From this URL http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/wavefront-lenses.htm

Sometimes, a proprietary measuring device is used for fitting and fabricating a specific brand of free-form, high-definition lenses.

One example is the Zeiss i.Terminal 2, a photo-capture system that automatically measures several fitting parameters — including the distance between the wearer's pupils (PD), fitting height, tilt of the frame (pantoscopic angle) and distance between the back of the lenses and the front of the eyes (back vertex distance) — to optimize the performance of Carl Zeiss Vision's Individual brand of customized high-definition lenses.

So it seems, these lenses involve more measurements of your eye, face, the glasses themselves, and the lens type in order to produce a lens as close to optimal as possible for you as an individual.

But what I don't know is if every vendor goes about the process of evaluating the patient in the same manner or if there are some proprietary products that are better than others.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
KD,

Thanks for that extra information. I just wanted to make sure that we were both talking about the same thing.

In my opinion, this is an advertising gimmick. The glasses made with these measurements and/or fabrication processes are identical to glasses made the "old fashioned" way.

As far as I am concerned, what they are saying on the website you gave me is just a bunch of BS to sell you glasses. They are no better or no worse than any other glasses.

I recommend you purchase glasses from someone you trust at the best price you can find and ignore this advertising hype.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get what you're saying, it's hard to know if it's worth it since I've never experienced the supposed improved vision they tout.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
KD,

And if you purchase a set of glasses from your regular eye doctor, then purchase a set of these digital glasses and quickly switch back and forth between the two sets, you will not experience the improved vision they tout either....they will be the same in every way that you can tell or an expert can test. Making glasses is not LASIK surgery.....

Trust me on this, save your money and spend the extra cash on Beer & Women :)

You can trust me on this; I'm a Doctor ;-)

Have a good evening.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest