Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I recently had cataract surgery (yesterday). I am on several

I recently had cataract surgery (yesterday). I am on several supplements recommened by my naturopathic dr. (not related to cataract surgery at all) I am no longer under her care, but do still take the supplements. I am unable to see (vision) the day after surgery (cornea edema). My eye doctor prescribed addidtional eye drops. My QUESTION Is are/could ANY of these supplements hinder recovery of cataract healing. I am taking the following: B Complex Vitamin, Magnesium Citrate (150 mg 1 or 2 x day), Camu Camu, Melatonin (3 mg. dy) Reishi Organic Mushroom (1 gram 2 x dy) and L-Lysine 500 capsules - approx. 4 tabs a day. If you could provie your expert opinion, It would be much appreciated. Again, I am day 2 post op and I cannot see a thing out of surgical eye. I want to make sure nothing I am taking (supplements) could interfere with recovery.
Thank you and have a good day.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

None of those supplements will slow the healing of your cornea at all. you are OK to continue taking them as you have been.

Make sure to use the eye drops as directed by your eye surgeon.

Most likely your corneal edema is secondary to slight trauma to your endothelial cells (they line the inside of your cornea). The good news? In the vast majority of cases this heals up completely with no residual damage to your vision.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS