Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi Dr. Dan, Update on my situation. I had the Crystalens

Hi Dr. Dan,

Update on my situation. I had the Crystalens AO surgery yesterday. I had the follow up appointment this morning with doctor. I cannot see anything out of my right (surgical) eye. The doctor told me my cataract was "difficult to remove"?? (i think this is correct quote) and has resulted in LOTS of swelling (not 'swelling' visible to me) apparantly, swelling the the back of my eye? Thus, impairing my vision. Do you think this is why I can't see? He told me to get OTC MURO 128 eye drops (which I have) and to use these drop 4x dy (along with the other 3 RX drops I use as directed). I am scaird cause I can see NOTHING but Blurrrrr.... (surgical eye). Is swelling common with this procedure? When can I expect to see? Thank you for any opinion you may have to offer.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Dan B. : Inflammation after cataract surgery is normal and almost always called blurry vision. In addition, the more complex and difficult the cataract is to remove, the more inflammation you can expect, and therefore the more blurry vision. I tell my patients to never worry about the vision on the first day, because I expect it to be blurry for several days. However, over the next several days you should notice gradual improvement in your vision. Does this make sense ?

Absolutely, I just wanted and needed the second opinion for reassurance. Will the Muro 128 help the swelling go away?

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, it should help the swelling improve quicker. Do you have any other questions about this?

One other question please. I took it on myself to patch my eye with gauze just so I don't use it and it is not 'strained'... do you advise? I wasn't told to do this (only when I sleep at night)

Dr. Dan B. : I would recommend not doing this. The more the cornea is exposed to the air, the better the eye will heal; not to mention patching can cause complications.

Perfect. I will remove it immediately (it's probably why the doctor didn't advise). Thank you for your insight. Have a great day.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. You too. Good luck in your healing. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!