Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I live in a wooded area with wildlife of deer and turkey.

Customer Question

I live in a wooded area with wildlife of deer and turkey. I have a cat who goes out at night. Every August and September I seem to get a mite of sorts and we have treated this as a scabies. There seems to be a minut white egg? That gets in and around my nose and eyes and I can feel a bite or sting at times. There is an itch but it is more of a skin crawling itch than an intense itch . I am off to try the permethrin lotion. My husband never has these symptoms and he does not have cat contact? Any thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I too live in an area like yours although we have bears too :)

I do not believe that your problem is with mites although it does sound like you are allergic to some sort of seasonal bug that your cat may be bringing in.

The best way to figure this out would be to go to a dermatologist for skin scrapings and testing of the affected areas.

But, if I were in your shoes, and the measures you have used, and are using, take care of this infrequent and time-limited seasonal issue, I would not spend the time, money and effort doing an extensive workup.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree that is seasonal and guess the cat must go
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Tess,

Since I have 4 cats and 5 dogs I would have to ask if your husband has a backup wife in training at this time lol!

Just Kidding!

I just think that even with the best, and most extensive, workup your chances of identifying the source of this seasonal issue is not very good.....

I'd just do whatever makes you symptoms better....or, perhaps, a annual 8 week trip to the French Rivera is in order?

Thanks for the positive feedback. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you in the future.

Dr.Rick MD FACS