Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

i have got a blister in my left eye for a long period...when

i have got a blister in my left eye for a long period...when i consulted a doctor i was said it was because of not wearing corrective glasses inspite of having power in eyes...today morning that blister jus broke down and i m gettin a liquid comin out of it...how can i treat it at home?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. What kind of doctor told you this?
Customer:

i m from india and when i consulted an ophthalmologist i was said so

Dr. Dan B. : Can you take a picture of this blister and attach it to your next post?
Customer:

i was given moxifloxacin drops in the beginning...it had no effect

Customer:

yes i can

Customer:

can u pls wait for a minute

Customer:

it is getting attached

Dr. Dan B. : Sure.
Customer:

thank u

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

i was also given lotepred drops by another doctor...

Customer:

i could feel tat blister has grown slightly big now

Dr. Dan B. : Is this blister something you can feel through the outside of the eyelid?
Customer:

yes

Dr. Dan B. : Granted, I am not able to examine you, but from what this picture shows and what you have told me, this looks like what is called a chalazion or a chronic stye. It has nothing to do with not wearing corrective lenses. Let me elaborate...
Dr. Dan B. : A stye (or chalazion which is an old, chronic stye) is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid that causes a swollen and sometimes focal, tender bump on the eyelid. When the opening of the gland is obstructed the oil spills out into the inside tissues of the eyelid which incites an immune reaction, causing the swelling, redness and tenderness, but these only rarely become secondarily infected and therefore usually don't respond to antibiotics. The definitive treatment for these is to use intensive hot compresses, but many people dont do them as intensively as is necessary to fully treat them. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. This should be done 4x/day and doing this daily, it can take up to 3 weeks of this intensive regimen for them to resolve, but most will resolve within this time. The ones that don't resolve after this need to be opened in a minor office procedure by your ophthalmologist. But unfortunately OTC medicines that say they treat styes are essentially ineffective and don't treat the root cause of the stye, which is the blocked oil gland that usually will resolve with the heat and massages.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?
Customer:

yea i could get it

Customer:

one more info doctor

Customer:

i had the same prob some 7 years before and as u had given before it was cut open to remove it

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, if they don't go away after 3 weeks of doing the hot compresses they require this procedure to open them for it to resolve.
Customer:

my next ques is since i m a nursing mom will i be able to feed my baby once i undergo this minor clinical procedure or will i be given some anti biotics

Customer:

can u explain me how to give that hot water compress pls?

Dr. Dan B. : Usually, when I open these up in my office, I do not give oral antibiotics, but will just put some antibiotic ointment on the lesion itself. So this should not affect your nursing.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

can u explain me how to give that hot water compress?

Customer:

pls

Dr. Dan B. : Sure...Let me type my response.
Customer:

thank u doc

Dr. Dan B. : A hot compress can just be a wash rag soaked in hot tap water. Alternatively, you can use a hot potato, or a boiled egg. Some people will use one of those rice bags that you heat up in the microwave. Those will stay nice and hot for 10 minutes.
Customer:

thank u...and how much will it cost for tearing it open doctor

Customer:

once i start givin tat hot water compress how will the blister be resolved? will it start tearing on its own nd the liquid will ooze out?

Dr. Dan B. : I have no idea how much an ophthalmologist in India might charge to do this procedure. In the United States if you were paying cash, it might cost between two and $300. It will start to resolve by opening up and draining, likely from the inside, see you will notice a decrease in size though I dont expect you to feel a gush of fluid. alternatively, it is possible that the skin opens up on the eyelid and it drains through to the skin.
Customer:

oh okie...how can i make sure everything has drained out?

Customer:

even if i see the size considerably gettin vanished

Dr. Dan B. : When you can no longer feel the bump through your eyelid skin.
Customer:

okay

Customer:

is it anythin serious?

Customer:

why do i get it often?

Dr. Dan B. : No. This is the exact opposite of anything serious. This is a very common problem and will not affect your eye or vision. This is nothing to worry about.
Dr. Dan B. : As far as why they happen, for the most part some people just form these and others don't. There oftentimes is a familial tendency to get these. But also a baseline inflammation in the eyelids can contribute to the formation of these. Therefore if this eyelid inflammation, called blepharitis, is treated daily it can lessen the incidence of these for many people. The baseline treatment for blepharitis and what I think you should start doing, is everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 10 minutes over the eyes, once daily. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations (Sterilid or Ocusoft) or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water): you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.
Customer:

okay thank u doctor...

Dr. Dan B. : You're welcome. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

thank u very much...nd sure i will rate it :)

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology