Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I need strong eye glass prescription of about -8 dioptries

I need strong eye glass prescription of about -8 dioptries in each eye. However without glasses I see roughly the same as the other person who has -3 dioptries also without glasses. I checked it against several people who require eye glasses and the conclusion is the same. Any reason why this might be the case?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

I am not sure if I have understood your question correct, but I guess you want to know why an individual with -8.0 D myopia would see the same as an individual with -3.0D myopia, unaided. I must add here that the method of visual acuity should be a standard one such as the one at an eye doctor's office, on the vision drum or chart. For example if both the individuals had the same vision of 20/200, without glasses, then it would indicate that a closer look at the back of the eye needs to be checked.

So an approximate vision done outside standard vision testing method could be misleading. Nevertheless I would be interested in knowing your vision in each eye, without glasses and then with glasses.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Hello Brian,

If you need any clarification please do not hesitate to ask. I will be glad to reply.

Please let me know how you have assessed that your unaided vision is the same as many individuals with lesser myopia such as -3.0D.

I look forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes your inerpretation is correct, unaided I see the same as the individuals with myopia of roughly -3. I have roughly the same prescription of -8 in both eyes. I and other individuals with myopia --- looked at some writing at far distances etc and this is how we determined that unaided I se the same as individuals with -3 myopia. When you say look at the back of the eye might be necessary -- please let me know exactly what kind of diseases can cause this situation. I noticed that you are not medical doctor. If you feels uncomfortable to respond please opt out.

Hello Brian,

I am a board certified ophthalmologist ( eye surgeon)and I guess that makes me a more appropriate expert than a medical doctor since this question is specifically pertaining to the eye and eye sight.

Your method of checking the vision is crude and does not take into consideration the size of object, exact distance from the eye, illumination and so on." looked at some writing at far distances " here we are not sure of the distance and the size of the writing from the eye. These factors are important in judging the visual acuity. If the vision remains the same( your friend's and your vision) when tested with a Snellen's chart, then I guess it should be a matter of concern for your friend and not you. An individual with -8.0 D myopia is expected to have a worse vision than one with -3.0D myopia.When I said that the back of the eye should be checked, I meant that the retina should be examined routinely so as to look for any peripheral areas of thinning or tears as these are often seen in case of high myopia.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if you have any more queries in this regard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know the method is crude -- as we checked against several people -- and the conclusion is still the same -- I see the same unaided as people with -3 myopia. For the purpose of my question please assume that my conclusion is true. I do have a thinning of my retina (because of the other uncommon disease) -- how can this in itself cause the large myopia (as based on my knowledge the myopia is caused by the curvature of the lens) and second of all how can the thining of retina result in my vision being the same unaided as people with much lower prescription. I undersatnd though that large myopia can cause thinning of retina -- because of stretching. But not vise versa where the thinning of retina causes the myopia.

Thin retina does not cause myopia and you have got this absolutely right. My knowledge of the subject does not permit me to assume that the vision of different myopes is the same irrespective of the degree of myopia. There is no condition of the eye which can make a higher myope see better or the same as many myopes with lesser myopia. If you still feel that your vision is the same as others then I would strongly doubt the status of your myopia. If this improvement of vision has been recent then I guess a thorough eye exam should be done including a cycloplegic refraction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you please opt out -- as i would like to get an opinion from another expert regarding my condition -- as I said I checked my myopic condition against other individuals including a person who is an MD (different field that opthamology). There is no question in anybody's mind who I checked against that unaided I see the same as a person with SUBSTANTIALY lower prescriprition than I. I suspected that I had this situation before -- as I would tell people that I can drive without glasses etc -- but only recently decided to do the "tests' aganst other individuals that confirmed my suspicion.

thank you

I would definitely opt out as per your request . Hope you get a satisfactory answer. Unfortunately I could not give you a convincing answer though I understood your query . Best wishes. Kindly wait till I opt out.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I see that you have requested that your expert opt out.

I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I have reviewed Dr. Desai's answer in detail and find her answers to be correct.

That being said, what issues do you still have that you would like assistance with.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a reason why I see the same as other individuals unaided (no glasses) even though my prescriptiom is minu 8 dioptries and theirs is minus 3 dioptries only.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
There is really no way for you, as a -8.00 myope to see as well unaided as a -3 diopter person unaided. As a retina surgeon with over two decades of clinical experience I can also tell you that your retina does not figure into this equation at all.....

The best way to prove this would be to go to a standardized testing situation (an ophthalmologists examining room) with your -3.00 friend and both read the eye chart.

From what you have posted, you will not see as well. I guarantee it.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest