Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi, does a white pupil in pictures always indicate retinoblastoma

Hi, does a white pupil in pictures always indicate retinoblastoma in a child. They usually appear red but tonight they were whitish mixed with red. i have red somewhere that it could be a sign. I could be just paranoid.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: Absolutely
Dr. Dan B. : No, a transiently white people in photographs is not always indicate retinoblastoma. In fact, this is very commonly just a unique way that flash has caught the retinal reflex. Most cases like this do not indicate retinoblastoma. However, because it is such a devastating disease, this is a always a good reason to go get a complete eye exam with your ophthalmologist Just to make sure. Does that make sense?
Customer: Absolutely, I am a paranoid mom. :-) She is my first and only so extremely overprotective. I have taken other pictures as well and they have both come back red.I however, jump and want to make sure. Thank you!
Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: Is there by chance other symptoms that may be associated. I am at ease with your answer and most likely make an appointment just in case.
Dr. Dan B. : No, unfortunately there really isn't any other symptoms to indicate retinoblastoma. The exam will go a long way towards making you feel much better about this.
Customer: sounds good. Thank you!
Dr. Dan B. : You bet. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!