Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, Please explain the difference between cataract surgery,

Please explain the difference between cataract surgery,
clear lens replacement and Vision ICL.
Thank you for your time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me a little bit about what is going on with your eye, how old you are and why you are considering such a wide approach to cataract surgery?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Can you tell me a little bit about what is going on with your eye, how old you are and why you are considering such a wide approach to cataract surgery?
Dr. Rick : Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just looking for future information.
Very nearsighted . Told not a candidate for improvement of vision
procedures but could have clear lens replacement.
Also told will have cataracts and would not need that surgery if
have clear lens done.
Heading into a time when cataracts may advance and may not have
a choice . Happy with contacts if eyes would stay the same.
Highly allergic to all solutions and tint dyes. Maybe contact material
too. Hard to factor out IMO because contacts are made with so
many different materials .
So, hesitant about something permanent, a lens made out of x and
foreign to the body.
No other medical problems or medications.
The Vision ICL video looks like there is a possibility of removal.
But this is different than clear lens replacement , right ?
Would it be then used in addition to improve vision ?
Would be great to see distance clearly, but also hate to lose
my microscopic vision.
Working with an opthamologist but really still don't know what
I should do. Trying to be proactive, because I am sorry to say
there has never been any situation for my family and I that has
been improved by the medical community.
It would be great to find someone with experience that would
do this research for me. Every person is different and I have not
come across many practitioners that understand this.
I would be willing to travel anywhere for such an individual.
Maybe you would know how I could find an expert for this.
Thank you,for your time.
Sara,

Do you know what your glasses Rx is?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for the delay.

OD - 11.75 / - 1.00 / 032

OS - 11.00 / - 0.75 / 005

Wear - 10.00 in contacts and see well.

Thank you.
Sara,

Thank you for that extra information.

Let me go over your questions in order:

With your degree of myopia you could have a clear lens extraction done and be left aphakic or with a thin intraocular lens, using glasses to sharpen your vision a bit. And you were told correctly. If you have this done you will not ever get cataracts since your natural lens (that, with aging, becomes a cataract) is gone.

No need to worry about being allergic to an intraocular lens. No one, to my knowledge and experience, has ever, in over 50 years of use, been allergic to one....

That is correct, the ICL is placed inside your eye without taking out your natural lens. As such you could get a cataract in later life...

If you are willing to travel anywhere for a "super-expert" on this issue then I would suggest consulting with the Professors of Ophthalmology at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. They are on the cutting edge of Ophthalmology and, while I can't recommend a specific MD, going to their clinic would put you in the "mecca" of eye care and cataract surgery.

So. What is the take home message? In my opinion, if you are doing well with your glasses and contacts now, leave things alone and stay away from surgery. Continue to do your research, gather information so that, if the time comes that contacts/glasses no longer work well you will be prepared.

One other thing. With your degree of myopia, you are at increased risk of a retinal detachment. As such, should you have any of these symptoms:

New or increased floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment.

you would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much !
That facility is certainly close enough to make an appointment soon.
My feeling is also as you described.
Forewarned is forearmed I think the saying goes . . .
I only see floaters when I am having an eye test and I did
see flashes, I think, seven years ago a few times one week.
Peripheral vision is good with contacts.
Even if the Wills Eye Hospital rec is to wait, they would have
my record and be ready for me when the time comes.
This life long vision issue has always been very strange as
there is no known hereditary component.
Thank you again for your time and excellent information !
Sara