Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi I was wondering how to tell if youre glasses were too strong

Hi I was wondering how to tell if you're glasses were too strong ect.?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

what type of problems are you having with your glasses?

Dr. Rick :

How old are you?

Customer: Mid 30s
Customer: I kind of want to step high or low
Customer: And get a bit swirly heady or dizzy when turning my head
Customer: It's not bad bad but I have anxiety attacks so these symptoms signal fear in me
Customer: I wore them about 12 hours yesterday and I have them on now
Dr. Rick :

How old is your Rx? Do you know the Rx?

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision with the glasses on?

Customer: Yes just yesterday the Rx was took 2 weeks ago.
Customer: I know my contact prescription
Customer: I mean off the top of my head but not the glasses would that help?
Dr. Rick :

That would be different than your glasses Rx.

Dr. Rick :

Am I correct in assuming that you got the glasses yesterday?

Customer: They came in, yes.
Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer: I can go get my script though
Dr. Rick :

That is not necessary.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual to feel funny for a while after getting new glasses. It can take up to 3 weeks for your brain to adjust.

Customer: I usually get glasses every year on the dot but had a checkup in nov 11 and they said I didn't need them until the following nov so I'm 9 months late this time.
Dr. Rick :

This is very common and not a cause for concern

Dr. Rick :

If it doesn't get a bit better every day you can go back to the optical shop and make sure the glasses were made correctly. If they were, and you are still having problems then go back to the doctor and make sure that your refraction, and glasses Rx, was correct.

Dr. Rick :

But, at this point, I'd just give things more time.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : what type of problems are you having with your glasses?
Dr. Rick : How old are you? Customer: Mid 30s Customer: I kind of want to step high or low Customer: And get a bit swirly heady or dizzy when turning my head Customer: It's not bad bad but I have anxiety attacks so these symptoms signal fear in me Customer: I wore them about 12 hours yesterday and I have them on now
Dr. Rick : How old is your Rx? Do you know the Rx?
Dr. Rick : How is your vision with the glasses on? Customer: Yes just yesterday the Rx was took 2 weeks ago. Customer: I know my contact prescription Customer: I mean off the top of my head but not the glasses would that help?
Dr. Rick : That would be different than your glasses Rx.
Dr. Rick : Am I correct in assuming that you got the glasses yesterday? Customer: They came in, yes.
Dr. Rick : Ok. Customer: I can go get my script though
Dr. Rick : That is not necessary.
Dr. Rick : It is not unusual to feel funny for a while after getting new glasses. It can take up to 3 weeks for your brain to adjust. Customer: I usually get glasses every year on the dot but had a checkup in nov 11 and they said I didn't need them until the following nov so I'm 9 months late this time.
Dr. Rick : This is very common and not a cause for concern
Dr. Rick : If it doesn't get a bit better every day you can go back to the optical shop and make sure the glasses were made correctly. If they were, and you are still having problems then go back to the doctor and make sure that your refraction, and glasses Rx, was correct.
Dr. Rick : But, at this point, I'd just give things more time.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : Are you still there?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer.
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry my reply didnt come through

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had to get on my desktop but My RX was in here it says OD -1.75 -0.50 X 170 OS -1.25-.1.25X10

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
JC,

Thanks for that information. That is not a lot of astigmatism but if there was much of a recent change in the cylinder (the second number), especially in your left eye, that could be what is causing your brain to get all bent out of shape with the new glasses. Don't worry, this should resolve with time.

We have been experiencing problems with Hungry Gremlins who live in the internet eating responses today.....

Do you have any other questions for me?

If not, you know all about the positive feedback button. But....did you know that the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far? ;-)

Have a good long weekend and keep wearing the glasses. I bet your brain will adapt just fine to them.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gremlins are at it again lol, ate my response lol. My contacts is -2.00 in the right eye -1.25 -0.75 x20 in left eye

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see really well, the most vivid I've ever seen but its really scaring me to get dizzy ( a fear of mine being I have fainted a lot- I have bad anxiety attacks) I described it like you know before you faint everything gets tooooo clear thats how im seeing. Or like if its a dim day and the sun comes out and its just so vivid and clear and even shiny. My contacts are doing the same not the dizzy but the vivid makes me think Im about to pass out feeling its just so vivid. And I've always went to the eye dr every 6 months or so as I like to keep a check, but this time I got a little house bound and didnt go for I guess it was a year and 9 months or something like that. And my contacts they said I just had a quarter step up but its just sooooo vivid and strange feeling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont have my script handy for the last one, but I just dont want to be going around in possible strong scripts and damage my eyes or anything? Or be afraid to get out ect. Is it bad to go back and forths between glasses? If I were to chicken out and grab my old pair? I dont want to hurt my eyes ect.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Don't let the dizzy feelings scare you. This happens a lot and it will pass.

Try wearing sunglasses with your contacts for a bit....

Your brain will adapt and you will be back to your old self soon.

"Trust me. I'm a Doctor" ;)

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
JC,

You will not damage your eyes at all wearing either your new glasses, your new contacts, or your old glasses.

If you go back and forth between you old and new glasses you will not adapt to the new ones.......but it will not damage your eyes.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I guess my vision being so intense is strange feeling plus if I bend down or move my head around gosh I get a weird feelin. Is that a strong script in the eye world? I thought my eyes were suppose to get better about not seeing far away when I got closer to 40! Lol is my contact script a big diff in my glasses compared too...see my eye dr had tried to keep me out of torics as long as he could but... Left eye finally got it. So do you get the stepping high (kinda like the floor is maybe not where you think it is, do you get that a lot? Or the dizziness? I have to say I have an inner ear problem and get dizzy a lot of course this is a different feeling, but so far my ear dizziness I haven't had much of, I'm wondering if my eyes are ever the problem with my dizziness and how to tell? (I'm going to rate you even though this question will be pending because I don't want to forget to rate you :) )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition to the above I forgot to say when I take my glasses off it feels like my eyeballs have been through a workout, is that normal as well? Just a lil sore and almost over exerted but not like a marathon ect.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
JC,

That is just you getting used to the new glasses. No permanent damage will be done. Promise.

"Trust me. I'm a Doctor."

Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick