Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have bad allergies that have affected my eyes. Was put on

I have bad allergies that have affected my eyes. Was put on Lotemax and Pataday They feel better Can I wear my gas permeable contacts while on these drops? I have wedding tonite and my lenses feel ok in my eye Just concerned about whether thy can hurt my eye  Dosage on steroid drops starting yesterday was 3 times daily for $ days. The other drops r once a day

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

I have ragweed allergy that usually affects my eyes this time of year

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, you should be able to use your contact lenses while on these drops. However, I would make sure that the contacts are out of the your eyes when you put the drops in. They Lotemax is a suspension and can cause build up on your contact lenses. Otherwise, you should have no problem doing this. Does this make sense?
Customer:

yes will these drops stain my lenses

Customer:

Could wearing them cause a scratched cornea

Dr. Dan B. : Not necessarily stained them, but buildup of chemicals can occur on the contact lenses if you put the drops in your eyes while the contact lenses are in. I would just make sure the contact lenses are out when you put the drops in and wait 5 to 10 minutes after putting the drops in to put your contact lenses in.
Dr. Dan B. : Wearing them should not cause a scratched cornea any more than normal.
Customer:

ok I did one eye feels a little dry with lenses in

Customer:

how many days should I stay on steroid drops

Dr. Dan B. : That is something I might expect as your eye and the surface of the eyes are dry and irritated from the allergies. It may be best to go without the contact lenses if you have a pair of glasses you can use, while the allergies are being treated.
Dr. Dan B. : I can't really tell you how long you need to stay on the steroid drops. That's something you need to ask your treating physician as I have not been able to examine you and cannot recommend the appropriate course because I have not seen your eyes.
Customer:

but wearing them will not cause any damage to eye

Dr. Dan B. : No, it should not. However, it may further irritate the eyes as they are already dry. No, I would not expect them to damage your eyes because you're wearing them while taking drops or having allergies.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

nope thank yu ill only wear them for a limited time

Dr. Dan B. : You're welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology